Farewell to Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF reformulation)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, May 24, 2023.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Confirmed. Dead cow! All good now.

Compress_20230528_155131_1633.jpg

ischiapp, Keithmax, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll tell you something old that I want- Rise Shaving Cream (50's). Sorry Danny, I didn't mean to jump in (like I just did)

Keithmax, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Robert, what website is this?:signs002:

Hembree, brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hembree likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Long Live Electric Sheep! Woo!

Hembree, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hembree, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  8. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

"Hi, Chris.
    I can confirm our current stock, both the refills and the shave bowls, are the tallowate formula.
    I’m expecting a rush on them for the next while.

Regards,
    Paul"
    29 May 2023....

Duly ordered from Melbourne Australia.

brit, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ouch. The shipping on that has got to be as much as the cost of the soap itself... unless you found somewhere local to order from? I thought there were a few MWF sellers in Australia?

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  10. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan, as you have said, it's still out there for those who want to go looking for it.
    (Ouch yes, but only if you want to order from Oz to the USA/Canada):sad027:

The Spanish/Irish/French/and some other Ozzie sites I looked at all replied and said they only have the new formula.

This is an Ozzie site with free shipping from Melbourne to Perth for orders over a certain amount, so that works for us down under (in case any one else down under is reading this.)

I ordered 4 refills plus some other goodies I have had my eye on for free shipping so that will keep me in MWF for more years than I have left. :D

jtspartan, Hembree, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Update:
    I just got another email from Brad Maggard regarding his MWF stock. There was a bit of an "oops" on his part. It turns out he was thinking of Tabac, not MWF in his initial reply.

Copy 'n Paste from email:
    "I was wrong, my mistake. We have the tallow version right now (both refill and ceramic).
    I was thinking of Tabac..."

So you can get the older version of MWF from the big M, after all.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That makes way more sense. Tallow Tabac has been gone since summer of 2021.

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I was digging into the history of Camwrap, (official distributor of MWF) and stumbled across this in one of the deeper pages on their site.

"Michael (Thomas) Keeble, who started the Thomas Keeble Wool Fat Soap Retail Mail Order service, is still personally answering your calls, and always enjoys a chat while providing kindly quality service to potential first time buyers and long-time loyal customers and friends, some of the latter having been WFS users for over forty years!"

(I'm not going to post his number, as he probably doesn't want to be deluged with irate customers, and he now knows what he needs to know).

So I gave him a call, and he did personally answer the phone. I had a very nice chat with him, and he was totally unaware that a change had been made in the formula. Finding this out caused him some distress, and he's going to look into it.

I figure if anyone has enough clout to get Mitchell's to end this madness, and go back to the original formula, he certainly does.

When the official distributor, and the driving force behind the creation of the shave soap, is unaware of a formula change, you know the company done ****ed up.

Edit: It wouldn't be so bad, if the new formula was good. It's not good. It might still technically be a "shave soap," but it's no longer a top tier shave soap. If a stearate isn't one of the top two ingredients in a shave soap formula, vegan or tallow, it's not a great soap anymore. I challenge anyone to find a top tier shave soap that doesn't have some form of stearate as one of the two primary ingredients. There actually might be a few, but I doubt it.

In fact, the new MWF formula is very similar to the Lea shave stick formula that they used right after they switched to a vegan base (blue stick), which is generally recognized as being very sucky. This is different than their current stick formula, which, although still vegan, is recognized as being much better than the blue stick formula.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think the official response from Mitchell's to one of the vendors has been posted in this thread yet.

"The previous formulation with a soap noodle base containing tallow is no longer being produced. The base of the soap is changing, but not the wool fat (lanolin) content, this is exactly the same as always.
    There were some formulation changes required due a change in ingredient availability and this new formulation continues to maintain the high quality products our customers expect from Mitchell’s. The quality and feel of the product is paramount and we're happy that you'll see consistent performance."
    :prrr:

Keithmax, DrStrange, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Mmm ..., soap noodle.

Mmm.jpg

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Yesterday a Kent customer service rep informed me via email that their current stock of shaving soap contains tallow. She kindly re-activated the sale price for me that had been in effect over the holiday weekend. With shipping to the US, my cost was $7 per puck.

I can't confirm what they actually shipped, so I either have a batch of shave soap or shower soap on order. My shave den is now officially stocked for the next 127 years. ;)

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Camwrap (U.S. based company) does still have stocks of MWF tallow formula shaving soap. They are a bit old fashioned, so no ordering availability online. You can phone in an order here:

251-405-0032

The price is $15 for two pucks (edit: $15 per puck in a 2 pack plus postage, so not a great deal, unfortunately) of MWF shave soap. It can also be ordered in a 12 pack for a reduced price per puck, which I failed to get the price for, for which I apologize.

He doesn't know the exact date of the introduction of the shaving soap, but recalls it was in the 80's. He doesn't know what the original 1893 formula was, and always heard it referred to as "the secret recipe." Also said if "Graham were still alive, he wouldn't be happy they were reformulating the soap."

I told him that was a good price for the shave soap, and that I would be sending some business his way.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Keithmax, jtspartan, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

19. Rahul

Rahul Member

This is my FIRST POST after 9 Years...!!

I started Wet Shaving due to thick beard in 2014. I used Arko shave soap and Indian shaving creams.

I had ordered for the First time MWF and Tabac from UK ( Connaught Shaving) in 2018. But I couldn't use them ( they remain packed) and they got misplaced.

Since I live in India( soaps are extremely pricey ) and importing from UK is costly( a bit less than India) and I was still a college student then, I didn't bother to re order and continued to use Arko soap and other creams.

Just yesterday, I thought of looking for the misplaced Tabac and MWF. I couldn't find them. So, I thought of re ordering.

I got the shock of my life when I found on Connaught shaving that MWF formula has been changed. I got another big shock when I was reading the comments in this thread, one of which said that Tabac formula is also changed!!

I had heard so much about them but never got to use them even once...!!

My first instinct was to look hard for my misplaced MWF and Tabac which I had got 5 years ago ( in 2018)...!!

Guys, I found the MWF...!!!
    WISH ME LUCK FOR THE TABAC...!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    fhalden, Keithmax, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  20. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Glad you found the new old stock. :):happy088: