Farewell to Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF reformulation)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, May 24, 2023.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have the Scapicchio scent which they describe as Fig, Olive and Bay Rum. The soap works very well for me.

brit, jtspartan and Frijolero like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1686348565320.JPEG
    Old (2012) left/top and new (2023) right/bottom.

When did they change the dish?

The old one appears to be better made, off center stamp notwithstanding. I like the new one's slightly more rustic styling a bit better though, and have already retired my old one (with the new puck from the new one) to my stash of vacuum sealed pucks.

brit, jtspartan and Frijolero like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I guess that makes sense that the "New"(Kent) is the same as the old MWF; Doesn't it say Kent on the MWF?

brit likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Wat?

Mitchell's Wool Fat will sell their shave soap to anyone. Currently, Kent buys (or bought) their soap and it's branded as Kent Luxury Shaving Soap with no MWF markings on it at all. It's an open secret that MWF and Kent is the same soap.

In the past, MWF also sold it to Bluebeard's Revenge as well, though they have long since dropped it from their line of products and have switched entirely to shave creams. That soap was marked with Bluebeard's Revenge markings.

MWF doesn't put other people's brand on their own MWF lines of products. The difference between the soaps was only the sticker used to seal the paper wrapping. The soap itself is unmarked.

5. brit

brit in a box

very cool.out of stock at present here,but i will indulge if the one i am getting works well.:):eatdrink047:

6. brit

brit in a box

20230612_142730_edited.jpg

parcel arrived.Kent soap is the old formula with sodium tallowate as the first ingredient..
    now if i could only unscrew this damn cap..;):eatdrink047:

BamaT, ChrisB, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Williams changed its formula and the product became lesser in quality. Mitchell's is changing its product line. This may be like Tabac and Fine Accoutrements, which lost their soap base when the factory producing it closed. I wonder if the droughts, famines, fires, and world events are all combining to create shortages in industries that spill over into other walks of life.

Frijolero, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In this case, it is almost certainly new EU/UK regulations taking effect in March 2023 regarding the use of Tetrasodium EDTA in cosmetics.

Why the removal of this one product necessitated a full reformulation of the soap base to a palm oil base, is less clear.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I grabbed a puck, but this is far from my first user to be discontinued. When I finish my last puck of Institut Karite Paris soap, it will be back to MWF for one more.

Its too bad regarding MWF, but I have always enjoyed and then moved on to something else. The unobtanium price gouging for Klar Kabinett annoyed me. It was a decent soap, but nowhere near as special as people made it out to be once discontinued.

PLANofMAN, brit and Frijolero like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Unlike the Fat? Love it or hate it, the Fat was still regarded as a top tier soap.

The new reformulation isn't bad, and DE users will barely notice a difference between the two formulas. Those who use open bladed razors will notice much more of a difference.

It's hard to say what will become of the Fat's legacy. When La Toja switched from tallow to vegan, to vegan, they lost a few customers. But for those who found the mineral content irritating to the face, the reduced mineral content in the latest reformulation makes La Toja more attractive to people like me. (And La Toja has always had a reputation for changing up the formula on a regular basis.)

The newer formula Fat lathers much easier and is synthetic brush friendly. These 'improvements' will certainly gain it some new fans, even as it loses long-time fans like me.

BamaT, brit, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  11. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The Old Fat lathered easily with my Stirling 26mm. Synthetic Pro Brush. I always liked using my SOC Boar brush with it more.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

BamaT and Frijolero like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

May have to give a go.
    Last I tried it was about 12-13 years ago. A real bugger to get a usable lather every time. I refused, and still do, to fight with a soap to get a decent lather when there are so many other soaps out there that give up a great lather with little effort.

13. chevyguy

You must have hard water. Mine's soft and The Fat just explodes in rich thick lather. Hard water requires more soap and brush work.

Frijolero likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never tested it. But, like I said, I don't fight with any other soaps in my rotation to get a great lather. I refuse to fight with a finicky soap. It has to lather easily with any and all my brushes without me trying to remember, "oh, yeah, this is XYZ soap. I gotta remember to do this, do that, and then do the other thing twice. Or what it three times?"

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The new formula isn't finicky. That being said, once I started hydrating the tallow MWF, I didn't find it finicky either, provided it was used every week or two. I also live in the Pacific Northwest so it doesn't dry out rapidly here.

16. chevyguy

I don't blame you at all. I dealt with hard water when visiting family and even my Stirling soaps were hard to lather. If your water is hard you can taste and see the minerals in it

Frijolero likes this.
  17. chevyguy

I'm in the Northwest too and my Puck of The Fat actually has cracks in it

brit and Frijolero like this.
  18. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

The
    U.K. left the E.U., though, so it's not legally bound to following E.U. laws.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's crying out to be used more often.

Frijolero likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The E.U. and the U.K. were in lockstep, though. So when the E.U. regulatory body bans a type of ingredient, so does the U.K., otherwise products that use that ingredient potentially won't be able to be sold in the E.U., or made in the E.U.

In this particular instance, it's fairly clear that it may have been a combination of restrictions on tetrasodium EDTA with the additional burden of the requirement to use food grade tallow in cosmetic products.

Add to that, more stringent regulations on what is, and is not, food grade tallow. The majority of the tallow that soapmakers would use is now being turned into biofuel, not lipstick.