Fat Handle For Ever-Ready Shovel Head Razor............

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I always thought that having fatter handles for vintage Ever-Ready and Gem razors would be better for me. So I decided to make one for my Shovel Head, similar to what I made for my Schick G with the 30-06 brass case. After looking through the brass @Jrdelgado sent me, I picked out a .300 Remington Ultra Mag case. It's wide and perfect for what I had in mind. I also used a short travel handle for Ever-Ready razors. Nice weight, but I just can't get a good grip on the thin handle..........
    1.jpg

First I had to cut the neck off the brass and shorten the handle to make it fit where I wanted it to be............
    2.jpg

After that, I made sure everything would fit properly and then epoxied the handle into the brass case and made sure the handle stayed straight until the epoxy cured. Next two pics showing the completed razor..........
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Of course I would need a case for it, so I used an Orlik Pipe Tobacco tin to make it with. It's a perfect size for use in traveling............
    5.jpg

And until I get what I need to store the blades, I used a brass Gillette blade bank, hey it works..........
    6.jpg

AGHisBBS, RyX and Jrdelgado like this.
  2. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Looks great Jim! Great work!

RyX likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

awesome sir..very cool.what case would i need to build a handle for a gillette old type ball end handle..the tube is split all the way so i have the ends as needed..thank you..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

I used a .375 H&H Magnum case. It's just slightly shorter than a ball end handle, but fatter. If you want, I can do it for you. It won't be a problem. I have a couple left.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

5. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..:)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

That case is nickel, but I should be able to use a brass one to match a brass or gold head. I just need the split handle and neck. I use the split handle to insert into the rifle brass and of course the neck to attach it to the head.

RyX likes this.