Father In-Law's Razor - Gifted

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Peter Cupitt, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

My Father In-Law passed away recently, and my Mother In-Law presented me with a plastic container of "old shaving stuff" that belonged to My Father In-Law and her Father. They were all covered in crap and looking very ordinary until I got busy !!!
    The container had three Cartridge razors (Gillette Atra Plus x2 and Shick Trac 2, with several containers of new cartridges) and a jewel !! A Gillette HD 500 Rocket (I don't think it is a Parrat)
    I made a little presentation case to show her the "End Result" of my efforts and included a small bit of info to show what the original set would have looked like and some info like MY Father In-Laws Name,birth and death dates and Razor id/Manufacture dates.
    I am Really considering having it silver plated .............. After all, why not?
    I also intend to use this in my regular rotation. His name was also Peter, so I think it even more fitting. In the fullness of time, I intend to pass this down to my son Peter ................. and so it begins or continues
    20131225_205606.jpg 20131226_145157.jpg

2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Awesome. I think the way you have gone about it shows incredible respect. By passing it to your son, your father in law will be the first in line in the story of the family heirloom.
    Nice, very nice.

3. Peter Cupitt

Thanks for the kind words. I really did like and respect my Father In-Law, he was a very talented and knowledgable man.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

"FANTASTIC" score and idea for keeping the razor in the family as an heirloom and passing it on to your son...With a little care I'm sure he will be able to pass it on to his son or daughter and so on..:happy088:

A thought on replating which I tend to favor. First research well for a quality replater. Silver is a "VERY P.I.A." material as for as upkeep is concerned(think of polishing the silverware) with no real longevity/hardness advantage over gold as far as I know of. You may want to consider replating in nickle like original(less cost, long lasting and less upkeep) or rhodium(very good longevity,easy upkeep, even more upscale than gold I.M.O.,BUT costs more)..Just some thoughts, congratulations on your new razor...:)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: Very cool!

Peter Cupitt and GDCarrington like this.
  6. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you for your gift from your mother-in-law, and applause for you for the way you are honoring your father-in-law.

Well done, Mr. Cupitt.

7. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Congrats, looks really nice.

Peter Cupitt and GDCarrington like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Enjoy your family heirloom razor!

Peter Cupitt and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Awesome! An item that has family history is something to treasure. Nice job my man!

BamaT, Peter Cupitt and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

WOW! Very nice. I don't think there's any better way to get a razor than having it passed down to you.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  11. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Great job.....this is a awesome..... I am sure your son will appreciate it!

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  12. VintageShave

VintageShave Member

Nice! Looks nice.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  13. Peter Cupitt

Good thoughts Eddie, I will definitely rethink the possibility of using Rhodium (It looks kind of silver doesn't it?) and it may even help the longevity of the razor more than silver :signs002: I am just not a "Gold" person I'm afraid.
    I just purchased a (Gillette Slim - H1) "Birthyear" Razor, so I may get them BOTH Rhodium plated at the same time ??? Better still, I was given a "Fatboy" by a friend as well, so having a set of 3 Rhodium re-plated razors, from My Father In-Law's earliest razor to the Fatboy donated by a friend and then the Slim (included by Me), would be kind of different and hopefully worth passing on when I "turn my toes up". ( And I think it shows my appreciation to the original owners) :smiley respect: I ALSO have 3 Son's :think002: Hmmm, I think I'm getting close to the final idea.
    Cheers

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. Peter Cupitt

Thanks for the nice words everyone.
    Seems I CAN be nice, if I try hard ;)

15. Marillonaire

Marillonaire Member

Lovely gesture

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Any of those razors replated in any material you like will be a "GREAT" gift to pass on to your sons..Their lucky kids to have a dad like you...:happy096: Another good thing for them I.M.O. is that between them they can try out 3 of the best razors ever made...:)

BamaT likes this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That is really nice in a lot of ways. The gift from your mother-in-law to you, having your father-in-law's razors, what you did with them, sharing that with your mother-in-law, and being able to pass them down some day. Very nice.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

That's nice!
    The gift and the razor!
    The Rocket HD is my current goto razor, I am also thinking about replating it in Rhodium, along with my Fatboy and my Popular, but it'll have to wait, there are no replaters in the Netherlands, so there will be some extra costs...

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Fantastic gift. Something to treasure and use.