Fatip Grande Gold razor any good?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by venom0706, Feb 22, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I had an offer to buy the DE classical razor "Fatip Grande Gold". I am new to traditional shaving. Is the razor any good? I am soon traveling to UK and was wondering if it will do me a fine job there? Thank you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do not own one, I'm also very interested In the FaTip. Can't wait to hear what others say.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If memory serves me right it's a pretty aggressive razor.
    Here's a video showing a guy shaving with it...beware it may...or may not...have some blood in the video :)

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

FaTip Grande: and 'grande' just means a larger handle than the Piccolo; an Italian-made open comb razor that may OC fans love. On the aggressive side; fairly easy to find the ideal angle. Easy to load (no alignment issues.

I had the Piccolo version (shares the same head as the Grande)—and found the handle too small for my tastes. I swapped the original Fatip handle out for the Mühle grande handle.
    The FaTip Grande handle should fall somewhere between these two extremes..
    [​IMG]
    I settled on a Weber handle—a great combo:
    [​IMG]
    As I stated above, the FaTip is more on the 'aggressive' side as far as razors go—very efficient with prominent blade exposure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is compared to the notoriously aggressive R41:
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed mine for a while—although I found it rather unforgiving at times. One misstep while shaving left me with numerous weepers around the mouth, upper lip and throat.
    This could simply be a case of 'operator error'—but I did not have any issues using comparably aggressive razors. It was certainly more aggressive than my OC Gillette New.

Another concern—and worth looking into when you receive yours—is the quality of the finish plating. Now at this price point, I don't expect an 'exceptional' mirror-finish present in costlier razors, but I was disappointed in the number of rough edges on this razor. Mine also developed a 'ring' visible on the top cap (see photo below). This was I suppose caused by an excessive tightening of the handle, which slightly twisted the threaded bolt extending from the cap. Now I've owned many razors with threaded handles so I'm not prone to excessively twisting the handle. I suspect the solder or weld joint in the razor production was weak.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    feeltheburn likes this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Mine had a jagged finish and blade alignment issues. The posts on the cap were too small for the openings on the baseplate and thus it could move around before tightening. The blade would end up with one corner sticking out more than the other or one blade edge having more blade exposure than the other. Couldn't just pop the blade in there like I could with a $10 Lord. I had one for a while and it never failed to give me weepers on the ATG pass. Must be the blade flex of a DE because even with my SE's with much greater blade exposure I fail to get cut (Don't get me wrong though the blade exposure on a Fatip is huge compared to say a SS). If you're going to the UK you can pick up a Wilkinson Sword classic DE razor to use as a travel razor.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a handsome razor...

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I love my Fatip. It looks like it would rip your face off, but it's aggressively smooth.

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The Fatip was the most aggressive razor I had ever used. But it left me with the best BBS shave ever.

9. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Thanks for the replies! Now another questions: Is the "Gold" version really layered with gold and will all DE razor blades fit the razor? Also, will I be able to find blades in the UK?

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

An ultra-thin .15 to .25 mils gold layer applied to a less expensive material. Highly susceptible to chipping and flaking, btw, so use with care. At that price point (and with the current price of gold), to keep costs down a 9k or less (<37% pure) layer is probably used.

Any standard DE blade fits the Fatip.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I just used my Piccolo today for the first time and found it to be pleasantly mild for an open comb. Almost night and day compared the the Muhle R41. Mine has a great finish and blade alignment. I've read that quality control can be a little iffy with this brand but I'm very happy with mine.

12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The finish on some of the Fatips can be a little blah, but man, can they shave.

13. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

The Fatip is a very aggressive razor but it is also very smooth. Some of their razors do have alignment issues but with a little push you can align it properly. I like them so much I own 3 of them. A Grande in nickle, a Grande in gold, and a Piccolo in nickel. Since they are made of brass, I think they are one of the best buys on the market. Great razor.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have the fatip Grande in gun metal. I find it to be a mean little critter. it'll bite me, if I don't watch it constantly. More so than any if my other razors. but it doesdeliver a very smooth shave. the finish on mine is Ok, not great but ok. I find no ruff spots. I've not had alignment issues. good luck with yours.

15. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I bought the Fatip Piccolo,as I didn't want to keep using my vintage 'Olds','News','Pocket Editions' so much....
    I have to admit,I love it!,it is all made from solid brass,it is cheap,and it shaves REALLY well!.I have large hands,so I do find it slightly awkward,but once the blade is aligned,(I did have some trouble with blade alignment at first,but for the last 4-5 shaves with it,it has been spot on,with no fiddling),it really does cater for all my needs!.I would say,if you like OC's,get one!.As close as an R41,but much smoother,and made to last (unlike the R41).Cant go wrong!.