Favorite Brushes and Why...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Skinny Rogers, Feb 28, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have one vintage restore. I bought it from Doug Korn. It has a TGN 2 Band, and I love it. As much as brushes I have paid five times as much or more for...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456961435.104616.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456961476.635765.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    brit, MoAllen, alfredus and 8 others like this.
  2. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Some incredible brushes in here!

I love seeing all y'all have!

ObiDon and theFAT98 like this.
  3. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Perfect balance between loft and backbone.
    [​IMG]

What's not to like about a Simpson in Tortoise shell?
    [​IMG]

Ever Ready 100 with 24mm High Mountain White. Nice and tall, and beautiful with a bowl or scuttle.

[​IMG]

Matthew Marting "Brushguy" brush, with 22mm Virginia Sheng 3 band. Supremely comfortable and beautiful handle, gorgeous knot.

[​IMG]

Century Set in Rubber. TGN 2 band.

[​IMG]

4. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Duke 2 Best

[​IMG]

Anthony MacKenzie, Jr, Lights synthetic

[​IMG]

Vintage Rooney restore with 3 band TGN

[​IMG]

Plisson Maison du Barbier

[​IMG]

All favorites for various reasons. I would not and could not choose an absolute favorite(or just a couple, as you can see. :) )

Halvor, MoAllen, alfredus and 9 others like this.
  5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Lol right now mine is the plissoft monster. But I only have that and my 400-4 2 band badger. I just love how soft the plissoft is.

178-bplatoon, SRNewb, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Can't wait to see it:eatdrink013:

7. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

Chubby Salad. My favourite :)

[​IMG]

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Plisson Synthetic

Pros:
    Price, backbone, face lathering monster, dries quickly

Cons:
    It's ugly

9. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Well, I only have two brushes. (I had three, but my VDH boar hair brush crapped out on me and I threw it out.) I have my Omega badger hair brush and my synthetic brush (I assume the brand is Absolutely Fabulous since it came with my Absolutely Fabulous soap). Initially, I didn't care for the synthetic brush all that much, because I've been having trouble getting it to splay like my badger brush (or my boar brush before it fell apart), but I have to say that brush has really grown on me—it's now my go-to brush.

What I really like about my synthetic brush is that it's really soft like my badger brush, but it has some backbone to it like a boar hair brush. And with the backbone/stiffness it has, it makes it super easy to work up a nice rich, thick, and creamy lather in no time at all.

Based on my love for a soft brush, but also my love of a brush with some backbone to it, I'd love to know if you have any recommendations for a brush.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

bestshave.net #6 horse(?) hair knot set in a burgundy acrylic handle. Even with the handle change it was still dirt cheap and works like a charm. It's the only brush I've used for years.:)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Primotenore and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Perfect loft height for me, not too soft or skritchy, and it was a gift. What's not to like about my Simpson 56 (pictured: another owner's #56).

Halvor, alfredus, theFAT98 and 5 others like this.
  12. Batman9402

Batman9402 Active Member

Love my simpsons but i have others

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

[​IMG]

Here are my favorite brushes. I probably have twice this amount in total, but the other half is boar (or boar/badger mix). The two end brushes are Manchurian badger...they are by far my favorite! Then comes the best badger. I like my Black Fibre Muhle because it is soft yet scritchy; it's the one I go for if I need a bit of scrub.

MoAllen, alfredus, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sweet! :happy088:

15. NJDJ

NJDJ Member

How is that Chubby 2 synthetic compared to a best badger? Do you use it much?

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Apples to oranges. I use it often, especially with my "tougher to lather" soaps. Nothing, but nothing beats the CH2 Synthetic in terms of lather creation (IMO :angelic007:) I have only used one "Best Badger" brush. It was a CH1. I found it a good latherer, not particularly soft. I sold it.
    Edit: I forgot about my Wee Scot. The li'l fellow's Best Badger. It's cute, but rarely sees any use these days. I take my synthetic with me when I travel.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah. If you wanted to chew through a soap fast, that brush would for sure do it.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs021: Sweet set of Chubbies. :eatdrink047:

MoAllen likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm not a big 'brush guy' in that I don't tend to collect nor spend much of my shaving budget on them. I do however enjoy certain aspects of the brushes I use.
    The more I use boars, the more I enjoy the knot stiffness and versatility. The custom boar made by Oscar11 is my current favorite, as well as these other picture below. I also have a couple of WD badgers and Omega 48 & 49 boars I work into the rotation.
    brushes.jpg

20. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing - some beautiful brushes!!!

Here my current lineup:
    [​IMG]