Favorite preshave oil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Any recommendations for your favorite preshave oil? I'm new to the DE thing. I know some folks mix their own, but I'd like to start with something I buy and then move on from their as I find out what I like or don't like. Oh, and there's an Art of Shaving store nearby if anyone likes their products--I always like to smell before I buy if possible. Thanks!

2. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I will be interested in replys to this. I use preshave creams.....which probably contain oils.....but to me..a pure oil will degrade the lather. I stand ready to be educated!

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I don't use a PSO normally, but for times I need extra protection (like when SE shaving), I like an undercoat of RazoRock brushless shaving gel under my normal lather.

4. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

Personally I use the art of shaving lavender pre shave oil and sometimes a lotion called udderly smooth that you can find for cheap at like Walmart that some guys swear by.

5. DFrancis

DFrancis Member

I don't use it a lot, but I do have some Prorasso kicking around that I break out from time to time. While I only had the sample, I loved the scent and feel of Truefitt & Hill's.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Olive oil does nicely when needed.

7. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Pacific Shave Oil

DLP likes this.
  8. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I have been experimenting with using a little of Johnson's Baby Oil Gel for pre-shave. So far it has worked pretty good. Has anyone else tried this product? Always, Gene

9. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I like Proraso pre/post shave cream. I also really like Burt's Bees shaving cream which you can pick up at Target. It is a super lubricant to use as a pre shave. That is my go to pre shave when I use my straight razors

10. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it does much, but I do use a homebrew concoction of grape seed oil and a couple of essential oils. I need to get some castor oil to add to though, for added slickness.

11. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

The Body Shop Maca Root pre-shave oil is nice; I definitely notice a difference when I use it.

+1 for Proraso pre-shave cream - it's my go-to!

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I use a Noxzema based product that I make up myself. A small jar size of Noxzema with 6or7 drops of the following added in: grapeseed oil, Almond oil, tea tree oil, menthol, glycerine. Mixed well applied when I start my morning prep.

13. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I used some grapeseed oil and didn't find it did much. That could be because I shave after a shower and stuff is already softened up.

That might have come out wrong.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I believe that the grapeseed was recommended because it was milder in fragrance than the olive oil . Both I believe have the same properties but the grapeseed is less likely to deteriorate. Better in salads too:)-).

15. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you say a "better shave" do you mean a closer shave? If so, the oil may not make a difference. But if "better" means less irritation, it likely will. I do know that is the case for me and for my husband.

17. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I settled on a grape seed based blend after discovering it was best for protecting my neck. I see it as skin protection first, and a whisker softener 2nd. I use the oil when my neck needs extra protection, or when I do not shower 1st.

18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I recently picked up some Lemon preshave oil from AoS. I'm not sure I am obtaining any benefit from using it. My beard is not very heavy and I enjoy shaving so much that I want to shave daily. Because of this, my beard never gets heavy. It would seem that if your beard is course and it grows in fast that there may be some benefit. Or perhaps if you have sensitive skin. As for me, it just seems like another product that AoS and other companies are trying to push to expand their product lines. This is of course just my opinion.