Feather AS-D2S vs WS-D2S (Stainless steel vs Wood handle)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Classic_4Ever, May 31, 2018.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For the longest time I was under the impression that I needed an aggressive razor to deal with my beard. It is not the case at all. Find one you like and learn to use it well, you will get fantastic long lasting shaves. Good technique is far more important than what tools you decide to use. An early fat handled Tech with triangle slots will shave just as well as anything else. Find something you like and have fun with it.

2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I don’t know how much difference there is, but I have the triangle slot tech. The balance is obviously different between the tech and the feather, but I feel like the blade feel or lack thereof and efficiency are very similar.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Double edge razor shaving is all about technique. You need to keep the right angle. Even the mildest double edge razors will give a close shave regardless of how thick beard you have as long as you keep the right angle. Every razor got it sweet spot angle and mild razors will only give a close shave at this angle. Aggressive razors got a wider range of working angles around the sweet spot requiring less stability in angle. If you go outside of the working range of angles, they might still shave but at the same time you will also get irritation.

You could for just a very tiny amount of money give DE shaving a try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Tr...device-Saiver-Rapira-blades-gift/222240343439
    While I have many razors costing more, Saiver is beating most of them. If you like this razor (it is mild), you can then later consider to buy the Feather (which is also mild), if you still want a stainless steel razor.

Saiver is designed to take two DE blades, but I load it with only one blade like this: cap -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle. In this configuration it is very mild but will still give a close shave if you keep the right angle.

Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It seems to me you're fairly new to wet shaving. I'm not sure you want to go for the most aggressive razor available, not until you have a better idea of how to use the tools. @Linuxguile made an excellent suggestion. Also, several folks recommended adjustable razors, which seems like a sound idea to me. You can start mild and hone your skills, then add more aggression as desired.

Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I think the OP has already been given the best possible advice but if he's absolutely seat on a high tech, high price, modern, aggressive razor, the Above The Tie range might be worth looking at especially given their warranty...

*30 Day Warranty
    At Above the Tie we believe our line of shaving products are the best money can buy. That is why we offer a thirty day guarantee no one can beat. Purchase any stainless steel or aluminum razor, handle, base plate, or cap and if for any reason you are dissatisfied you can return the product for a full refund. This warranty is valid only to the original owner. All we require is that the product must be returned in it's original packaging within thirty days of purchase.

I don't know if any of the other high tech companies offer a service like this but it looks like a very risk free deal.