Feather Blade: Super Sharp, so be CAREFUL!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I believe blades are ranked by sharpness: dull, sharp, very sharp and (for Feathers) scary sharp.

Herm

kfbrady and Jim99 like this.
  2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, someone mentioned that the way the blade is bent in a razor can affect its cutting abilities. My Van Der Hagen Weishi doesn't bend the blade nearly as much as my Merkur does, and shaving with the former last night, I only got a couple of weepers in my usual problem area at the corners of my mouth.

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Feathers have been my go-to blade for years. Back when a DE razor was my daily tool for shaving (prior to giving way to the straight razor), the ideal combo was a new Feather blade in the hyper-aggressive 2011 Muhle R41. I’d change the blade out every 4th Shave. Now that I rarely DE shave, the Feathers last much longer! ;)

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My appreciation for Feather blades has grown with my technique. I once bought into the idea that a Feather belongs only in a very mild razor. I now use one in a Fatboy set wide open.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and TobyC like this.
  5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

That's exactly how adjustable razors work. Vintage Gillette adjustables (Toggles, Fatboys, Slims) have an adjustment ring with 9 detents that provide more and more curvature when the doors lock the blade in place. At their highest setting the blade remains relatively flat which produces a larger gap between blade edge and the safety bar. At their mildest setting the blade is more curved producing a smaller gap.

Several of the modern 3-piece razors produce the same effect by providing different base plates that alter the blade gap.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I did my 30 Day Rule with Feathers. I love all blades, but them best.

wchnu likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've used Feathers in different razors, mild to aggressive and they shave great. I've also never had a problem with them being too sharp, probably because I used them after getting my technique down with different types of razors.

Edison Carter and wchnu like this.
  8. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

When I use a D/E razor .I love to use a feather blade .Sharp and smooth blade .Works great on my tough beard .