Feather blades DE vs. AC

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Leclec13, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

This week saw Round #4 in my Shavette Showdown.

- Feather Artist Club DX - Feather Professional Super
    - Focus R21 Evolution - 1/2 Feather DE
    - Focus R28 Slim Al - 1/2 GSB

[​IMG]

Fine shaves all...

The Focus R28 with the GSB stays consistent. GSB's will not outshave Feathers but are 'forever smooth'. This set-up stays in close persuit.

In the Feather vs Feather sub, I moved the DX back to 1st. The blade doesn't perform like new, but allows me at this point to compensate and add a little more cutting force for the win 'without punishment'.

FWIW, my little competes are not to say one is better than another. The' Max Headroom ShaveMobile' got a blade tracker upgrade recently and I'm mostly setting my 'time to toss' parameters.

[​IMG]

Happy shaving Y'all.

Edison Carter, reporting live from Network 23. Or, 20 Minutes into the Future.

Terry and Chuck Naill like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The Shavette Showdown is over.

I think it was after Thanksgiving that I set out to do some side by side shavette comparisons. I finally ended it this week.

It was....

The Japanese made Feather Artist Club DX with a Feather Professional Super loaded up.
    vs
    The enonomy Italian made Focus R21 Evolution with half a Feather DE (for the sidebar Feather throwdown).
    vs
    The unique Italian made Focus R28 Slim Al loaded with the Max Headroom shavette fave GSB.

In the beginning, the DX/Super combo ruled with the ability to sever my facial hair with the greatest of ease. It continued at the top throughout. Somewhere around 3 or 4 things seemed a little rougher which I theorize the point the coating is wearing off. Ultimately it went longer than the other tools. Since I'm not an Excalibarian, I was satisfied at 7 even though sloppy work can still easily get you a sneak peak at some of what's inside that melon on your shoulders. (yeah I did!).

The $14 tool did it's job admirably. For the Feather subcategory, Artist Club wins except for the day the coating was failings. On shave 6, I had to call a reliever from the bullpen after the first pass.

The super light, all aluminum Slim Al with a GSB went a full 6 shaves and was retired with honors. The consistent smoothness of the GSB shines. I use this combo to make quick shaves more than anything.

[​IMG]

This excercise was fun.

It did cause me to realize how much adjusting has to happen to compensate for the wear on replaceable blade shavers.
    True straights are maintained every shave and can go a surprising number of shaves before failing. One guy over in straights is at 75 now with a fine Spanish tool. I did strop the DX after the first pass on #7 and saw improvement, but I won't be doing that.

For the sake of anyone considering taking up the shavette to learn open edge, I'd say changeout after 3. I'm returning to my 4-5 shaves per blade.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 minutes into the future. Shave free.

Leclec13 and Terry like this.