Feather blades get better and better?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tomnat, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Does anyone have any experience with Feather blades, or any blade for that matter, getting better after the first or second use? I have used Feathers in the past and I always found them a little too sharp, I suppose. They weren't very comfortable for me. The last time I used one I stuck with it for a second, third, fourth, and fifth shave now and after the first or second shave, they were a dream. I'm going to continue on to my sixth shave and see how it holds up, but I must say that they are quickly becoming one of my favorite blades.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not uncommon, especially with the Feather blades.
    Seems what is uncommon is for folks to take a Feather past four shaves!

battle.munky and tomnat like this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I find them half decent with my face after 2+ shaves and stropping the hell out of them every time. I think it's more the fact they don't like me very much, now that my sampler arrived and I'm getting into others I'm letting them know the feeling is mutual LOL. At most I could only manage 4 shaves with them though, they'd start shredding my face at that point.

tomnat likes this.
  4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That was my understanding as well, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll keep plugging away until it becomes uncomfortable. By the way, before the last shave I hand stropped the blade. Might have something to do with it.

5. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I am a Feather Fan. They are my go to blade. I can understand some that feel that they are uncomfortable, as I do too, when it's the first shave with them. I dial back on my adjustable and it seems to make them less aggressive. I am with you on the third shave getting better. I can get any where from 5 to 9 shaves before having to change the blade.
    While I have found a couple of other brands that I find to be comfortable, none of them have had the consistency that the Feathers have, for me.

6. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

For me, the first shave is ok, the second shave is amazing, the third shave is ok, and then the fourth shave is sub par at which point I change the blade.

ajdhn likes this.
  7. Patcheon

Patcheon Active Member

My record on a Feather blade is 18 shaves and now regularly get about 14. Got the 18 shaves record when I get the first 4 shaves in the mildest Feather Popular when the blade is at its sharpest. After that, I transferred the blade into a EJ DE86 where I find it provide the smoothest yet most efficient shaves. Use it in the DE86 for about 10 shaves. Then on the last 4 shaves, I use it in a China made Nanjie razor. I am not sure why but somehow find the Nanjie razor super aggressive. So it handled the almost blunt Feather pretty well. Sadly, the Nanjie's silo doors got jammed after about 6 months of use and after I manage to open it, it became super aggressive and it will nick me without fail on every shave. So right now, I stop using it and thus gets 14 shaves per Feather blade.

battle.munky likes this.
  8. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Either you have very thin beard with very fine hair, or you enjoy the tugging of hairs. That just sounds painful to me. With the minimal cost of even the "expensive" Feather blades I don't know why it would need to be stretched that far. Your shave though, quite impressive that you can go that long.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Yeah no doubt, like Yellow 7 O'clocks I don't even try for more than 3, sometimes even then its 2 and out.

10. Patcheon

Patcheon Active Member

I really don't know why I can use the blade for so long. I continue to use it as long as the shave feels smooth or till I spotted rust stains on it. By the way, I can't use a fresh Feather on the EJ. Feels aggressive like hell, that's why I experimented using it from my mildest razor progressively to the most aggressive one I have.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I suffer through a few shaves to get the Feathers dulled enough to be comfy. For me, it isn't worth it so I stopped using them. I have 9 that I will use from time to time just to check and see if maybe it was a technique thing or what, but so far, 2+ years in and I'm still not able to like them. I want to like them but they are just not good to my face soon enough. And asking for slightly used Feather blades just seems like a bad idea......:happy102:

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I always throw a blade out after the third shave, regardless of the brand. With Feathers I could probably go longer, but I still throw them out because for me Feathers are like trying to pet the Tasmanian Devil. I had one container of Feathers in a sample pack I bought about a year ago, and those things remind me of the most loud and annoying toys my kids play with, where the batteries seem to be immortal and last for all of eternity. I really think those Feather blades are regenerating while no one's looking. As soon as I close the cabinet door it's like :sexe:and there are new little Feather blades running around next time I open it. My Derby's, however, always run out far too quickly.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Drop one in your R41.

They were meant for each other just like chocolate and peanut butter.

Paulie likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You know, I did, and it was the best use I've found for a Feather. Performed like all the other blades I have used in it. 4 or 5 shaves and it was done. Since the shave part of the R-41 is a bit rough no matter what is in it I noticed that it kinda equalized the Feather down to the same stature as other blades, wrt sharpness.

I'm not going to switch over to Feathers just due to cost, but it seems to be ok in the R-41.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's my favorite blade in the R41, but when they go bad, it's quick and ugly...

battle.munky likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have found the same thing myself.

battle.munky likes this.
  17. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Feathers last one week for me. Probably could get more shaves but why when blade costs are reasonable.

Agree the best shaves are 2-4. Beard prep is always critical.

18. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Mine as well!!

19. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

+1
    For the first shave I usually load them in a tech ball handle, that tames them perfectly. After that first shave they are ok for my skin to have them in any razor.

CyanideMetal likes this.