Features

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Queen of Blades, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This is a question for the forum members.

What features do you use? Some of our features are listed here.

And what features would you like to see?
    Someone mentioned a Thank You system recently. Anything else?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From the list I use:
    Store
    Reviews
    Favorite Smilies

I find I almost always click UNREAD POSTS when ever I enter the Den. I pretty much stick to those posts to keep updated.
    Every once in a while I check out what's going on in the COMMUNITY.
    SEARCH is another feature I'll click on every now and then.

3. Queen of Blades

Do you mean the Social Groups?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes. I was just looking at the top of the page to see what else I use and saw Community, knowing that's what I click on to get to the MUG.

5. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

:sihns011:

That is pretty much how I roll on the board as well.

I like the thank you system though.

6. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

WOW a few more posts popped up while I was making my reply. Just to clarify - I use the Unread Posts link in the upper left portion pretty much all the time.

7. Queen of Blades

Ahhhh, ok. I didn't even think of that tab. But there is other stuff listed under that tab. You're just referring to Social Groups, though.

I'm actually looking for new stuff with this thread, but also interested in what stuff is dead weight.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, pretty much the same as Steve and Bill for me. I use my signature to get to the MUG though.

Thank you feature would be cool.

9. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Feature? I 'ardly know her!

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

100% of the time I click unread posts when signing in. I also use the TSD store link, Flash Chat, and every so often I visit the arcade.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I use - some more than others - Store, Reviews, iTrader, Medicine Cabinet, Google Map, Favorite Smilies and Videos.

If TSD is going to stay with the vBulletin software...

I would like to be able to access Members List under Community. I miss that feature from B&B and since both forums currently use the same software, it should be easy to turn on.

Also I'd like to see Google Search added to Search, as it is at B&B. Quite frankly, it's tons better than vBulletin's built in search.

And finally I'd like to see the vBulletin mobile plug-in implemented so that people on mobile phones, myself included, can make use of TSD. Yes I can use TSD on my phone but it's the full web site. The mobile plug-in scales down the site to basic functions and doesn't take 5 minutes for the site to load.

Well, you did ask, didn't you? :happy102

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

There may already be a way to do this that I don't know about, but I'd like to be able to bring up threads that I've made posts in, and see if anyone has quoted me, other than doing a search on my name.

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Click on your name> go to statistics> then you can find all posts by your or all threads started by you.

Bam now you can see what you have posted

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I believe Queen is asking this question, as we are heavily considering changing our forum software. While vbulletin has been the forum standard for many years, I don't feel it's grown much, and is starting to look a bit dated. There's some new competition to vbulletin out there, that is looking to be a better option moving forward.

Our current vbulletin license is expired (we still own the rights to this version), and we're doing our homework before we decide where to spend our money. Vbulletin has released a native mobile interface, but as this is part of vb4, we don't have access without upgrading. (There ARE a few third party mods that i've been playing with)

This is not the easiest of decisions for us, as there are good and bad with any decision we make.... The new vbulletin does not yet support some of the older features we have (like the review section for instance), or how would everyone take to a new software.

Whatever decision we make will come soon, and it will certainly include mobile access. Sorry for the delay, but we wanna be sure we make the most informed decision possible.

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I believe you should be able to view the member's list in the place you mentioned....

16. sol92258

Wow, sounds exciting...and nerve-wracking.
    I'm not familiar enough with forum software options, but I did a quick look at several of the forums I'm a member of (or just visit semi-frequently), and all of them use vBulletin. I also read about some of the controversy they've caused changing pricing, etc. That's just asinine of them.

Best of luck, wish I had any expertise or experience in this specific area to offer help with

EDIT: Ah-ha! Slatedroid uses IP.Board (version 3.1.4...how awesiferate is that? :D)

17. IAmTheJody

If so, I must not have access to it. When I click on the Community link at the top of the page, the drop down that shows has only Social Groups, Pictures & Albums and Contacts & Friends whereas at B&B it shows Social Groups, Contacts and Members - Members being the members list.

Whatever decision y'all make for TSD software, I'm sure it'll be the best and we'll all get used to it eventually. I for one can't and won't complain about something that's provided free to the community, to bring the community together. ;)

18. sol92258

this is what I see...

[​IMG]

19. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Whatever you guys end up doing, I think you should try to keep the reviews section...or mimic it with the new version if you can't keep exactly what you have. Though somewhat subjective, I find it very informative when trying out new products.

I would also like to see some sort of a thanks or rep system.

20. IAmTheJody

This is what I see... could have something to do with the fact that I use the 'TSD Dark' skin/theme but I don't see why that would affect the navigational links of the site....

[​IMG]

EDIT: Yes, that's the issue. Using the TSD Dark theme/skin causes it. When I switched to the TSD New theme/skin to check, it did show the Members List.