February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Clint, your photos have been terrific. :happy088: You're inspiring me to get started again with my DSLR. Last time around, I had fun varying depth of field by mounting the camera on a tripod and using the aperture priority exposure setting - where you select the aperture size (F stop), and the camera selects the appropriate shutter speed for correct exposure. At a given ASA setting, smaller apertures (higher F stops) and slower shutter speeds will increase depth of field. I remember shooting indoors somewhere around F18 or F22 with a half-second or greater shutter speed for large depth of field. The converse is also true - larger apertures (lower F stops) and higher shutter speeds reduce depth of field. Slow shutter speeds (less than about 1/60 second) demand the use of a tripod or resting the camera on a fixed object to eliminate camera shake. You can further reduce camera shake by setting a 2-second delay timer to take the photo. You then press the shutter release, and the camera takes the photo 2 seconds later.

I grew up using my 35 mm Canon AE-1, a shutter-priority automatic camera, and it had very few bells and whistles. Kinda like shaving with a DE compared to a multi-blade cart. Technique trumps tools in photography as well. Ansel Adams is my all-time favorite photographer. :)

Ansel-Adams-Portrait-Inner-Banner1-1020x500.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks Brian-one good thing about this is she has a lot of friends and family who are by her side by now.

3. wristwatchb

Paul, I'm glad to hear your dear Mom is doing better. It's good that she has family and many friends supporting her.

4. Paul Turner

well....better in the sense that I think she is slowly coming to grips with what is happening.

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, RyX and 6 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have done the same thing with F stops but discovered very similar results with the flash setting and high zoom. When adjusting the aperture, I found myself taking several photos to get the results I was after. I am having a great time taking and editing the photos.

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, RyX and 5 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

That mouintain on the right looks an awful lot like Longs Peak in Colorado(the grand-daddy of Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park.)

7. wristwatchb

I set up my photos at a given F stop and then take a series - photography lights on and off when indoors, also varying the exposure by underexposing a full stop, half stop, correct exposure, overexposing a half stop, then a full stop. It's loads of fun when I get into it, plus digital "film" is cheap! From the series of photos, I hope to get one that is decent.

I showed a friend 8 or 9 photos we took on a recent trip to Alaska. They told me I was a great photographer. I told them they'd think differently if they saw the other 1490 photos! Even a blind pig can eventually find an acorn if he roots around long enough. :happy102:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  8. wristwatchb

This photo was taken in Yosemite. If you're interested, check out this link.

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice brush!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's what I meant taking a load of photos to get on good one. Now I am down to 2 or 3 at most to get 1 decent one. Of course post editing on the Mac helps a lot too.

11. RetLEO-07

Our desktop went belly up. So after a consult with the IT boffins on her job the wife decided on a Mac. It's currently at Best Buy undergoing data transfer. Delievery should be sometime in the next 3 days.

12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Nice to make your acquaintance, good sir.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13. RetLEO-07

Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends, step back inside!

14. Paul Turner

ohhh ok.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

At home we made the switch form the pc to the mac this past Christmas. It works better with a family loaded down with iPhones and iPads. The photo editing has been the huge bonus for me. I can't wait to see how it works with videos from the helmet cam this summer.

16. Paul Turner

see the shooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome back!

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

- Irving Barber Company
    - Razorock 400
    - Stirling Electric Sheep
    - Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

So I was at the Irving Barber Co. website, looking at spare parts, mainly for an extra little thumbscrew for the blade clamp, and I see they have come out with a new black shank. Uh- oh. So in my own little bizarro world, I figure there is no better spare part than an entire spare razor, right? I am sitting on a fat Paypal balance from a bunch of den clearing.... Plus, I really like the black on chrome.... Annd NB 17 is a distant memory now anyway....

When I got the razor, I have to say I was a little disappointed in the finish of the chrome. It has some spots where it looks like something got underneath it. I wrote them, and asked if there was anyway I could exchange it, for a new set of scales, or possibly just give me a deal on a black set, because I am kind of anal retentive about such things. He answered back within five minutes, said it shouldn't have gotten out, that he is sending me a new chrome set, and a black set, and I can mix and match them however I want. How freakin' awesome is that for customer service?

So now Irving has company.

Oh, and today's shave went great.

19. RetLEO-07

That's what the boffins said. Both boys have Apple gear and so do I, so it's a no-brainer.

20. wristwatchb

Congrats Jared! Can't wait to see your haul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.