February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

February 28 (Tuesday) - last chance for my February Fatboy Focus

Schick Krona / GSB (4)
    B+B Omega Essential Boar
    The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream ( croap )
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Aftershave

In keeping with how my February Fatboy Focus actually went, I did my last shave of the month with my new Schick Krona loaded with my new GSB sample. A two-day stubble disappeared cleanly and easily.

The Omega brush did its usual great job whipping up lather from The Eternal Tub; if I could only have one brush, it would definitely be a contender for the slot. BTW, The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream ( croap ) now shows bottom in a hole in the middle the size of a looney (a Canadian dollar coin for you Yanks); I expect I will finally put a stake through its heart sometime this coming month. Of course, I said that back in January...

This month I found I like my Fatboy as much as my Black Beauty and I can now use it safely on any setting up to 9 although I still prefer 3. I also found that I can run one of my carbon steel vintage PAL Gold Thin Hollow Ground blades for up to 40 shaves, aided by a vintage bladesaver and, I must admit, a willingness to tolerate some roughness from the blade. I also found that those old 1930s gizmos to hone razor blades really did work on the old carbon blades. And I found that one reason for the switch to stainless was that the coatings could make the blades much much smoother -- a PAL Gold Thin Hollow Ground carbon on its best day isn't a patch for smoothness on a Voskhod on its worst. Finally, I found that the Schick Krona is a crappy-looking razor that provides a magnificently smooth mild shave; the Fatip Grande both looks superb and provides a superbly controllable aggressive shave; and the Fendrihan Scientist is a high-quality stainless steel razor that sucks rocks as a shaver for me.

Now on to March, where I will start by focussing on my Gem-style SEs to learn their quirks while trying to kill off my immortal TOBS cream.

RyX, Linuxguile, SharptoothC and 6 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Andrew, he's a beauty. You are blessed!

RyX, Linuxguile, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great photo Doug. A pretty amazing disco haze look for an old marine.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

AC's are perfect for minimalist shavers. Not that many razors and blade selection is limited once you get past the milds. Definitely agree on that front. I'm thinking March is going to include the pain sticks for me, maybe exclusively. Still not sure but hey, not knowing for sure this late in the game is a madness of its own!

wristwatchb, RyX, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much. Marine is a proper noun and is spelt with a capital "M" . :)

wristwatchb, RyX, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Always enjoy seeing your end of the month calendar. Great month again!

wristwatchb, clint64, RyX and 4 others like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

Ooh yes, I did know that. Apologies.

wristwatchb, clint64, RyX and 5 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Astra SP is an excellent blade and I keep them in bulk. I use it primarily for head shaves precisely because it is consistently smooth and fairly forgiving. I like that you're picked up on some subtle changes that a month of solid technique work has made possible. The lighter touch is definitely due to practice. Excellent shave and I always look forward to seeing how you are doing and the progress you're making. I also like that brush! Fun to shave with something you had a part in restoring!

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Congrats on that very fine first shave! I won't say I was hoping for a bit of drama with that razor since you didn't try it out first, but I was. Probably just a knee jerk reaction to a few of my own exploits. However, if you're not going to bleed and suffer when you have the chance, then GREAT SHAVE!;)

wristwatchb, clint64, RyX and 6 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fun?! What fun?! This is serious business my good man. Technique!! Drills!! Rules!! Focuses!! Who said there was any fun involved?! :happy093:

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Careful there. The Insane Shaving Dude (Marine) kind of scares me now.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy097:

wristwatchb, clint64, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And in just over a decade we can enjoy his first post to the thread as well! Like our own little Truman Show!

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for your support, I think

15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Well the final shave for February sucked. I thought I was doing decently, got a good lather, it stayed on my face, didn't flake or evaporate off, the blade should still have been good for another 3-pass shave, but i must be getting overconfident or something because I nicked myself a lot more than I have. I didn't feel like I was doing anything differently, but obviously I was. And to top it all off, I thought I had made all the necessary touchups, but as I'm watching a movie tonight I started rubbing my face and noticed a rough spot along the jawline.

Next month I'm definitely working on riding the cap and letting the razor do the work and try and not apply too much pressure.

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Doug!

17. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

-Kai Captain
    -Rudy Vey Chubby Shavemac
    -Jeeves of Hudson Street Velvet Jacket
    -Proraso Green Splash

The Jeeves of Hudson street is really everything I look for in a shaving soap. It can handle its water (needs it to be more precise), has unbelievable residual slickness so it is great for touching up, and the scent of the Velvet Jacket it amazing. I really like this soap. It is one I could see replacing when it is gone.

It is a rather fitting coincidence that today ends the month with my 60th shavette shave. I started with a few last December, but I have been pretty focused on the task for the last two months. Aside from achieving a pretty decent level of competency with them, if I have learned anything, it is that I doubt I will ever go back to regularly shaving with safety razors. The level of concentration is takes to do this is almost meditational for me, and I love it. I also find that it is absolutely the most comfortable way for me to achieve a really close shave. The touch required to not flay my face open also means it is more difficult to irritate myself, especially my neck. I am not going to generically focus on using them anymore because I can't really imagine using anything else on any regular basis.

So onto next month and a brush battle to the death.

wristwatchb, clint64, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

I just arrived in Denver for a layover. I think @Bama Samurai may have left the AC on, it is 26 degrees outside. I am glad I don't have to leave the airport.

wristwatchb, clint64, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Nice set up and picture, Jared!

20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Welcome to the club, little man!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.