February 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2018.

?

What type is your favorite razor?

1. Vintage DE

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Modern DE

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Vintage SE

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Modern SE

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Straight

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. Pain Stick

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. I'd say carts - but I don't want to admit it

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Razor schmazer - pass the cookies!

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN January 31st
    [​IMG]

RazoRock Mamba
    Pol-Silver Super Iridium(2)
    Hardright Anchorset (24mm, Frigate Class)
    Storybook Soapworks "Coffee Spoons"
    Avon Wild Country AS

Last night I had the shave that I intended to have yesterday morning. First time using a Storybook Soapworks soap. The soap base is very high quality and easily make a super shiny, creamy, and slick super goop lather that did not break down in a hot scuttle. Post shave feel was top notch! My skin felt well hydrated and smooth after the shave with no signs of drying or tightness. The scent as described by Storybook is Brazilian coffee essential oil with added Colombian cold brew. While a very nice coffee scent I found the scent strength to be on the lighter side. I could smell the coffee from the tub and while the lather was on my face, but is certainly didn't fill the room with the wonderful aroma of brewing coffee and in the end I found myself wishing that the scent strength was stronger. The Mamba and the Pol-Silver performed flawlessly and I ended with a three pass DFS+ shave. I finished with a splash of vintage Avon Wild Country just for fun. Have a great day my friends!

MR41, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 10 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Im glad!

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

I'll definitely let you know when I come across another one.

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 1st, 2019 would be perfect...:happy102:

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  5. Linuxguile

I'm sure something could be worked out ....

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Helps a ton. Thanks for your time. I gotta lotta reading to do :)

Drygulch, sdguero, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Thanks, men. Interestingly, yesterday I did a side-by-side with the Timeless Bronze OC .78 and my Timeless 95. The 95 is smoother by a hair. Side-by-side the difference is slight. I could not pick them out otherwise.

The 95 was slightly more efficient after 1 pass. After 2 passes, the results were indistinguishable.

There is no need to have both...unless you want the much milder .38 baseplate with the Bronze. I like the 38 for an every day shaver...not that I shave daily. I'll keep them both, probably, so my son can learn on the Bronze 38. Even with a Feather, you'd have to try really hard to get cut.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew.

Thank you Jason.

Drygulch, jtspartan, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes I can. I'll give it a bit longer to see if anyone figures it out/remember it or whatever. But I won't hold you in suspense too long.

anticipation.gif

Drygulch, jtspartan, sdguero and 8 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Andrew. That is the first I've heard of Storybook Soapworks. Restraint in place.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have been reading and checking out your side of the street a bit. I looked at the instructions for the OCMM and tried the flat approach last night. Seemed like it just increased drag and a bit of angle out was better. But I see what they are after. Getting too much angle on this would seem to be a fool's errand.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Back in 2014 and 2015 TGN knots were the knot of choice for custom brush makers. I still feel they are one of the better values in badger knots. The TGN Finest is one of my favorite knots for its combination of backbone and scrub without to much scritch.

13. Linuxguile

Thank you, Clint!

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

February 1, 2017

Razor: Schick J1 Injector
    Blade: Japanese Schick Twin (1)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Williams

I'm starting the month with a Japanese Schick Twin Injector blade in an early J1. All I can say is that this blade takes what is already a great shaver and makes it even better. Meanwhile, the VdH boar continues its resurgence and lack of shedding. All in all a great start to the month.

One quick update- my Yaqi DOC head is due to be delivered later today. Assuming I have enough whiskers to bother with, I will probably try it in the morning.

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thursday February 1st - Black and Red Shave
    IMG_00000136.jpg

Delta Echo Ink black Gillette Fatboy on 4 / Gillette Platinum Plus ( 1 )
    Muhle Silvertip Fibre Synthetic brush
    Jeeves Key Lime shave stick
    Alum and Jeeves Bay Rum splash

For my first Favorites shave, I picked my fancy Fatboy. Loaded with the last blade from this vintage blade holder package (I have another half dozen still.).

I then decided the sensible way to round out the shave was to match the razor's black and red colour scheme. So small black-handled Muhle brush, Jeeves Key Lime in a black and red shave stick holder, and Jeeves Bay Rum splash in a dark bottle with a black label.

It worked.

Hope everybody has a good Thursday.

MR41, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Fantastic composition, John!

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. Play with the angle a LITTLE BIT.

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

If the scent strength were stronger I might have had a go at some enabling.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I wasn't here from that far back. Also Acronymly Challenged. If Steve @swarden43 were here, he'd know!

Fat Boy and a Feather, and set it on number nine! Great combo.

Got my 4th save on with the Blackbird & Astra SP today. Going to try a Feather with the OC & either handle since I grip it high. Then the Blackland, brush handle, plus a couple other items will be in the mail shortly. Thank you James for the opportunity to enjoy a high quality modern razor!

I recall someone went the other direction - artificially aged the bronze with a chemical solution, followed by using it to attain polished areas.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

FAVuary Focus!

Arko - Molested with AS
    Oceans vintage boar brush
    Suribachi & warm water
    Blackbird; OC base, long handle
    Astra Superior Platinum (4th)
    Pinaud Citrus Musk E D C
    SOTD 02012018 BB OC Long handle ASP.gif
    An Inspired Shave, and I kicked it up a notch. Couple drops of AS in with the lather slightly shifted the scent to lemon lime without affecting lather quality. Little vintage boar with it's original knot fits easily into the container that holds grated Arko stick. Using the last variation of bits & bobs and a fourth time blade the Blackbird continues to impress. It's not just the shininess. This is a well crafted tool that will be an heirloom one day. Three passes and less clean-up needed as I become accustom to the sweet spot angle. No nicks or blood. That's a combination of enjoying aggressive razors, riding the cap, and Adventure Time! Finished the shave with a splash of cool rinse water, no snag dry off indicating an effective reduction, and a double splash of high octane Pinaud.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

MR41, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.