February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Also it helps to be using such an awesome brush and lather bowl.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Keithmax, brit, Trigger and 11 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Why would someone name a soap Mudder Focker? If I was in the business of selling to make a profit, I would think a more pleasing name would have wider appeal. It would be difficult to explain this name to someone if they saw it in my den. Maybe the manufacturer should just call it what everyone knows this name means. It may be the greatest soap ever made, but I'll never use it. Just being honest.

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm ok for soaps these days, so I'll pass, but I appreciate the offer.
    Yes, I still have a half bottle of the MM splash, as I didn't get it until about a year later than the soap. It matches ok with a few other things in the den as well.
    You've inspired me to start off next month on a bit of a RR focus- the new Hawk with a few of the soaps.

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

I have no idea where the name came from, Charlie. It is a dupe of Boellis Panama 1924 so there is no parody of the name there. I got it as part of a trade with Keith and do like it. I agree the name could be off-putting to some potential buyers.
    I wasn't trying to offend anyone by using and posting its name. I apologize.

Keithmax, BaylorGator, brit and 12 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

They looked good in your photo, but a very similar lather bowl didn't help me with the Reserve Cool this morning!

brit, Norcalnewb, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

No offense to you or any of my 30 Day brothers, Jason. I'm glad you like it, and I'm sure it's a fine soap. I was just sharing my personal thoughts. I've never heard anyone else comment about the name, so it may not be a non-issue for most folks. If I'm being completely honest, there was a time in the past where I would have likely purchased it simply because of the name.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think it's a stupid name too.

8. Linuxguile

From the IB website:

"RazoRock Mudder Focker shaving soap has been controversial from the moment we launched it. More than a few people took offense to the name and refused to buy it. I understand, I get it, my sense of humor doesn't always work with everybody. The name was chosen for two reasons, the first reason is that this special shaving soap actually contains thermal mud, Fuller's Earth to be more exact. The Fuller's Earth is sourced from an ancient thermal sulfur spring in Italy where many Italians visit every year for a health and relaxation escape. The second reason why we named it Mudder Focker is because that was my initial reaction after feeling my face after my first shave with this soap!"

9. wristwatchb

Thanks Andrew. What a load of hog wash.

mrchick, brit, Trigger and 12 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Which has also been affectionately called mud.

brit, Trigger, Paul76 and 11 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

Good strategy to use wry humor to get the old man to stop ranting. ;)

Keithmax, brit, Trigger and 11 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Get some rest in there anywhere?

On a associated musical note...
    Something like this!
    Red Heads.jpg

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

20190221_153830.jpg Good afternoon! I was waiting for the mailman because I knew that I was getting some packages. I received my vintage early 1900's Wolstenholm from Ebay and my 3 jars of soap with the accompanying aftershaves from Stirling. So in keeping with my "firsts" theme I decided to break open Stirling's Piacenza soap and its AS. Also, I will be reviewing my head shave as well. I will be using my Dovo Best for my face and my Rockwell 6C razor with a VDH blade at setting 6. I lathered my face with my Rockwell brush and Stirling's soap never disappoints. The Piacenza scent was light and smelled clean. It is a different scent that I have never experienced. With a 2 day stubble, two passes and neck touch-ups for BBS shave. I did get a tiny nick on moustache area and a tiny weeper by the mouth crease. Witch hazel and styptic made the little boo boos go away to Never Never Land. Finished with Stirling's Piacenza AS. The AS has the same scent as the soap and it was a great finish for a nice shave.
    Result 96 = A
    Now, for my head shave. I use the Rockwell 6C because I rarely nick myself. Did WTG, XTG and ATG with minor touchups. The Piacenza scent was still pleasing, but not overpowering. The headshave was BBS without any bloodshed. Finished with Stirling's Piacenza AS. I have to say it was truly a Rockin' (Rockwell) and sterling (Stirling) shave today. Finally, I have to give kudos to Stirling because they gave me free samples of a soap bar (Hipster scent) and post shave balm (Barbershop scent). Enjoy the rest of the day fellas!

14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I was thinking more along this line.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, brit, Trigger and 8 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Great shave Joe! I find that if the scent is kinda light on a Stirling tub it has probably been sitting on the shelf for a little while. You may notice that after a few shaves you will get past the layer of soap where the scent had dissipated and find that it is scented a bit more strongly then you initially though.

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks Andrew for your explanation. However, do you find that to be true with a new unopened jar of any of their soaps? The AS was nice, but the fragrance was light as well. I am not complaining because I prefer it that way instead of the scent being overbearing.

Norcalnewb, Frijolero, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Doug, Andrew, & Perry!

Thanks Charlie! I've seen Adam @Drygulch using his Stahly & alternative handle. I can get a good shave with the stock vibrating gizmo but it's heavy, fat, and requires several windups for a three pass.

If you decide to look for one, be careful to get a look at the base plate. I saw this one - correct handle, wrong top end.
    Stahly handle but not head.JPG

Thank you Clint. I think they do now sell Single Blade in the small metal tubes. Cost more per ounce as I recall. If I can remember the conversation, I'll link it.

They do make an Official Proraso dispenser. Might be suitable if you were monetizing the soap.

I'm with you there Patrick. I don't have many mentholated products but Green was my first. Adding the preshave soap cools even more. Might have to try one of those Stirlings one day. Think anyone could recommend something?

Guess Proraso wants folks to Buy Big for now. Their business model seems to be Canned foam>Tubed cream>Tubbed croap.

Drygulch, Keithmax, brit and 13 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

My tub of Executive Man was lighter on the scent strength when I first got it, after a few uses it got stronger. Not to the point where it was over powering, just noticably stronger. A lot of my other purchases were new/seasonal releases so they didn't have time to sit on the shelf and lose potency. A good blooming will help draw that scent out too.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I wondered who made the What The Puck line. Think it's TFS too?
    I read that about the slightly risque named WTP line - Italian made.
    I wasn't going to buy the one I got, but it came up during a trade. Glad I got it - good soap!
    You didn't create the name Jason. We're all adults here and what happens in The 30 Day thread has only been viewed 38,058 time so far. ;)

20. Linuxguile

Yep, TFS too. They also have their own line of triple milled soaps out now.

Keithmax, brit, Trigger and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.