February 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Name your favorite!

1. Straight razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Vintage DE razors.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Modern DE razors.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. SE razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Pain sticks.

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Badger brushes.

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  7. Boars

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  8. Synthetics

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  9. Cookies

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Polls that don't take 10 minutes to fill out!!

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am going to finish up my PAA sets, and then work in other Favorites. It should be a fun month!

wristwatchb, 9nein9, NCoxSTL and 8 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in!
    I've thought long and hard about what I'm going to do for February. I've decided I'm going to put very little thought into my February shaves. I'll start the month finishing off January's PAA focus. From there it will be whichever razor has a blade left in it from No Repeat November. The soap, randomizer. The brush, randomizer. If any color coordinating happens it'll be by chance.

Let's do this!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am with a No Focus Focus. I will continue in my efforts to knock out some more soaps. A&E Frozen Mojitos is one the ropes. Otherwise, I am going to use what strikes my fancy.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

What about brushes?

5. Linuxguile

I'm in for a focused February. Same setup for weeks 1and 2. new setup for weeks 3 and 4.

6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Tempt me not!!! :kar:

I'm mighty pleased with how the Kong is working out for me, and I don't know if I want 2 additional hooks screwed into the ceiling of my already hideous bathroom :happy102:

7. Linuxguile

You owe it to yourself to experience a good badger and boar brush. Too bad you aren't interested because I just so happen to have one of each that I'd like to find a new home for.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

This is a fabulous focus Tim. Look forward to reading along!

9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I’m in. I’ll do a variation of a Focused Favorites February. 1 straight, 1 shavette, 1 safety razor (for travel). Software and brushes are free.

10. timabababaluka

There are just too many good people on this forum--makes it hard to keep things simple. :D

Wow, that is a very generous offer, but I'm a bit leery of experiencing the finer things, when there is a very high chance that one of my younger children might destroy it. Just two weeks ago I would have jumped at the chance, but that was before I saw my two year old in the bathroom swinging away at my Kong with the stick end of a broom. When I calmly asked WHATAREYOUDOING!!?!! He would only say, "I need dat for my work." Now, I don't know exactly what work he had in mind, but last month I pulled my oldest son's Razorock Bruce synthetic out of our flower bed. It had been missing for close to a week. The handle is scuffed, but the brush is still serviceable, so ultimately no harm done. Might even serve as a lesson for him to keep stuff off the bathroom counter.

Much as I love them, my children are why I can't have nice things. My steel Estwing 22 oz framing hammer that I've had ever since my first construction job in the summer of '93 has been missing for half a year. How can a hammer stay hidden for half a year? It has to be buried somewhere. I'd start randomly digging in the back yard if I could just find the blasted shovel!

In 5-10 years I'm sure this will all change, and I'll certainly start looking into a good badger and boar. After all, it makes perfect sense (to me) to have three of everything. Till then, however, best not to find reasons for wanting to kill the ones I love ;)

11. timabababaluka

Thanks, Blair! I, personally, hope it turns out moderately uneventful ;)

12. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Truly evil Andrew. ;) In a lapse of better judgement Tim gave me his address. I almost sent him a few other things just because he makes it so entertaining. If you really want to cause Tim problems, send him a few brushed on March 1st, right after he has thinned the herd.

13. timabababaluka

You're awesome, Evan--but still the devil :happy102:

Btw, my daughter ran off to Utah with the surprise Lady Gillette you included; she loves it. Maybe when she gets back in a year and a half she'll convert The Missus to enlightened shaving ;)

14. brit

brit in a box

fine plan Jason..:)

15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I like the theme Favorite February. Fortunately, I like every razor except the VDH, soap and brush in my den. Therefore, I will choose my razors, soaps and brushes based on my mood. I am planning that my Wolstenholm 15/16 near wedge sq pt will make an appearance. I haven't used it in awhile, so it needs to come out. My Henckel's 7/8 Sq Pt, my Herder 7/8 square pt and one of my C- mons square pts. The Dovo and Parker Shavettes will be showcased. Of course, some of my safeties, like the Fatboy, my Rockwells and others may make a guest appearance. I will be using Stirling soaps for most of my shaves. Finally, I will use my C-mon badger, my Semogue badger, Rockwell Synthetic and the Omega Boar. My Stirling boar and Barbury synthetic will not be in the game because they are my least favorite. Obviously, my shaving plans can change at a moments notice so this is not written in stone.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes just grabbing what hits you in the moment turns into a great shave.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like a great "non-plan plan". Let the moment carry you away. It will be better than even Calgon could do. (Let's see how many get that reference)

18. brit

brit in a box

awesome .shave by mood is my favorite..:)

Linuxguile, Trigger, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My focus is going to be Fat February. I love Wool Fat soap and will be using nothing but throughout the month. I reserve the right to shave with the same razor three to four times in a row. Brushes will change as will AS Splashes and Balms.

20. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

B75EC269-4424-4C9E-AA4A-AF8139721885.jpeg E5207CFC-55B0-4230-BB0F-DC61BF321B76.jpeg
    SOTD 02/01/20

Welcome to Mitchell’s Wool Fat February. This month I’ll be using my favorite shaving soap for every shave. I’ll be kicking off with my FrankenFamex which consists of a French Famex Cage baseplate, a Rockwell Gunmetal cap, and an ATT Atlas handle. The Famex is a cage head razor which is adjustable. The tighter one compresses the Cage baseplate by tightening the handle, the milder the shave. For all my shaves, I’ll be lightly connecting the handle to the baseplate as I prefer an efficient shaver.

After my shower, I began my shave with a cold water rinse and then scrubbed both face and head with the PAA’s Menthol Preshave Cube Soap, a regular part of my shave routine. Soap preparation began by salting the soap with 6 drops of M-Bomb before adding some boiling water to the Wool Fat mentholated concoction. Whipping up the result for about 30 seconds with the Viking Silvertip Badger brush yielded a very thin, bubbly, glistening brush topping which, when transferred to face and dome, blossomed into a nice, warm, thick, yogurty lather. In keeping with the successful R41 shave that ended January, I began my first WTG pass by riding the cap and using short even strokes until the razor began to sing. The Famex is one of my favorite razors because of this vibratory quality. It sang as it very efficiently sheared my whiskers off at the skin line on both face and dome.

After relathering, I confined my second pass to very light XTG buffing which had worked so well on the R41 yesterday , and discovered Madame Famex only wished to sing around my regular rough spots. These are the Adams Apple and jawline on the face and the sides and center of the back of my head. That first very careful, slow pass apparently really cleaned things up. I checked my watch and learned that I’d spent almost eight minutes on that first pass, almost double the time I usually spend. My second pass lasted three minutes and ended with an alum block check revealing no heat. I finished this exemplary, bloodless BBS shave with Thayers Lavender WH and PAA’s Mentholated Mysterium Serum. I feel clean, coool, very smoooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: FrankenFamex
    BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Unscented Mentholated Mysterium Serum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.