February 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Jan 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Great into, Joe! Thanks for the shout-out. I am thinking this month's theme can be revisiting previous disappointments and trying to right those wrongs so to speak. A great example of this is a Gillette Slim that I have not yet had a great shave with. I haven't had terrible shaves per se but nothing that has impressed me. Considering how many people I have seen that love their Slims I can only conclude that it's my fault. Another good example is the Muhle Rocca that I was so disappointed with back in November I believe. I'm still not convinced it's the razor for me but I'd like to at least get one decent shave from it before I get rid of it. There are many other examples that I can think of but all things that I can hopefully improve. I hope everyone has an excellent month of shaves!

JACarbone, jgreenepa, ewk and 3 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks for the shave comment. Paying my Great Uncle????????????

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you Eric. I think keeping a positive attitude in this hobby is very important. Actually, it's true for every aspect of our lives. There have been past members who had a problem with some razors and were going to pif it or sell it. In some cases, they ended up enjoying the razors that gave them such a hassle. It could be as simple as the blade brand and yes technique. I have faith in you that you will overcome and master that thing. I like your theme for this month.. Have a great evening Eric.

4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Gary.

jgreenepa, brit and Trigger like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

That is one beautiful razor.

6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Perfect shave for this snowy landscape Joe.

7. Trigger

Thanks Joe! Everytime I use Christmas Eve, it just puts a smile on my face.

8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I will be more introspective in February. I have never been one to post SOD pics. During the last two months I put as much emphasis on what would look impressive in a picture versus the learning focus. It is true I greatly benefitted from the discipline of the injector focus. I will now step back, not post pictures, and not choose shaves based on impressing the 30/focus team.

I like @SRQShaver looking at things that were disappointing. With the exception of the Feather DX, I don't have any real disappointing equipment. But I do have things I neglect. For example, I have 13 sample soap jars and 7 Stirling samples, and I have tried less than half of them. I plan to "Edmund Fitzgerald" those as a priority. Probably will take more than Feb to make it all the way through, but it seems like a manageable goal.

Tonight I shaved with the humble yet reliable Gillette Tech with a Feather blade and one shim. Soap was a generous helping of Barrister & Mann O Delight! Not one of my favorite scents, and I am very glad I only purchased a sample.

The Tech really suits my personality. I live modestly, drive used vehicles, and do not wear expensive clothes. The Tech fits right in with my general ethos of simplicity, excellent performance, and timeless appeal. Achieved a comfortable and excellent shave tonight with this tried and true workhorse.

9. Trigger

It's all good Eric! The most important thing is to get consistent quality shaves! Our motto is "Technique trumps tools." I firmly believe you can get just as good a shave with an inexpensive setup as with an expensive one. I always use the analogy you can get to the same destination driving a Volkswagen Jetta as you would a Mercedes Benz.

10. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Gary.

11. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

SOTD February 2, 2022
    Pre-shave: Van Der Hagen Shave Butter
    Lather: Hendrix Classics & Co "Badass"
    Brush: Jayaruh 347
    Razor: Gillette Slim TTO Adjustable DE
    Blade: Tatra Platinum (3)
    Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

SOTD_2022-02-02.jpg

I continue to get great shaves with a Tatra Platinum blade so I thought it best to keep the momentum going and see how it does on a third shave. I am trying a new focus this month where I go back and try gear that I haven't had good luck with in the past. This Gillette Slim is one of the first razors I bought and I honestly was starting to think there's something wrong with it. Today marks the day that changed.

The combination of the razor, blade, and lather came together just right and I had a smooth, close, irritation-free shave. I'm calling it a solid BBS. This proves to me that experience and technique make a huge difference in the quality of shave I get. Luckily, I didn't get rid of anything prematurely so this month should be very interesting. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day!

12. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.fine daily driver..:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool.when teenagers in the 1950s got their first razor set, their only choice was to learn to use it,;).great progress.:eatdrink047:

14. brit

brit in a box

i love techs for that very reason.they stand out amongst my higher end rarer fancier gillette models.and please don't worry about impressing us.expensive top end doesn't usually mean better.;):eatdrink047:

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

February 2

Muhle 41 with w/SS (Mongoose) Big Bomber handle
    Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Rudy Vey Chubby handle w/24 mm Shavemac Silvertip two-band bulb knot
    Stirling Executive Man
    Alum, Witch hazel and USB

I'm up early for my Bride's doctor's appointment and a grocery store run before the predicted ice storm tomorrow. Weather forecasting in the Ohio Valley can be tricky, and we appear to be on the fringe of this storm system. I hope it passes us by as power outages sometimes accompany ice storms. The weather has been warm and mostly sunny the last few days. I've been using this opportunity to walk and break in a new pair of Oboz hiking shoes...really like the shoes so far.

I'm using a different razor today and holding most everything else in my lineup constant. I decided to skip the foo-foo since we're going to see the doc. The R41 combined with a solid stainless steel handle taken from my Mongoose SE weighs in at 163 g. It's heavy, but it feels good in hand and requires a light touch. It's a fun tool to use and mows down anything in its path.

Enjoy your day, gentlemen. Grace and Peace.

SOTD_020221.jpg

16. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Charlie.:cool::eatdrink047:

17. brit

brit in a box

wednesday
    1946 gold tech
    7 oclock black-2
    rr bruce synthetic
    cf santa paula
    cf natural a/s

[​IMG]

good morning gents:)
    up early this morning watching for the snow storm
    no snow, then work as usual,
    snow..then you guys are blessed with my extended presence :D

a fine shave indeed with another newly acquired/rescued tech
    the u.s gold fat handle.1946?
    post war rectangular slot baseplate but it has a prewar cap.
    interesting,another example of gillette using up parts from bins.
    fabulous 2 passer in the usual manner.
    fine cf lather built with the razo-rock synthetic,
    scent free cf natural a/s to seal it in.
    awesome

have a fine day everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

18. Trigger

Awesome shave and very nice setup Eric! I own a Slim Adjustable and I always gave me fine face and headshaves. Enjoy your day!

19. Trigger

Nice setup and shave Charlie. My R102 (Mühle R41) is one of my go to razors for my headshaves. Pray all goes well at Kathy's appointment and that the ice storm will not affect your power in Jesus' name. Have an awesome day!

20. Trigger

Very nice shave and new toy Gary. Believing you will be working today. Enjoy your day!

JACarbone, jgreenepa and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.