Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My favorites are my black fur-felt fedora, my fox-fur & red brocade (from Tibet) and the pink camo ball cap I wear when shooting outdoors. (The cap was a gift from friends.)

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm not much of a 'hat guy' but I occasionally will wear a large outback-style hat usually if i find myself outdoors for an extended period or on vacation.
    Bigs guys wearing smallish hats look peculiar to me.

SafariScreenSnapz243.jpg

Stroker, RaZorBurn123, KLF and 2 others like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

So do small guys wearing really big hats.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You will usually find me in some kind of ball cap, western, or other broad-brimmed hat.

jim_2006.jpg jim_2005march.jpg jim_2008.jpg

Bristle Me, jakie55, Stroker and 4 others like this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Other than the occasional baseball cap, my large head can make finding hats that fit challenging. When I go looking, I generally gravitate toward derbies and newsboy caps.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Actually, I take it back. I wear my patrol cap only when I'm in uniform. I just can't pull off hats.

7. Jtfrye

Jtfrye Member

I usually wear my 8 point Marine corps cover in uniform. And my favorite Florida Gators baseball cap every other time

8. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Atlantis '13.jpg

The straw fed0ra I bought on our 2013 trip to Atlantis. Never, ever have I felt sun like that or saw water so blue. Since I'm follically challenged, I really needed a hat in that sun! Wanted something cool and "islandish" so I went down to the hotel gift shop. $105 bucks for a hat! No way I'm paying that. In the gift shop, another hotel guest tells me to go across the street to the t-shirt shops for a hat. Go to the t-shirt shop, $45. That's still expensive but maybe........ In the t-shirt shop a guy tells me to go to the flea market 3-blocks down the street. (Now I really want a hat). So I head on down to the flea market, $25. I offer $15, we settle on $20. That was a wonderful family vacation!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    jakie55, dbersh, Stroker and 6 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm a Tilley hat fan. This is my only hat - 10 years old and going strong! I used to be a redneck before I started wearing it. :D

photo.jpg

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

With Tilley's warranty, I've purchased two T3 hats...I've had 6. They tear and I send them back. Greatness.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great looking hat and family

12. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Go Gators! Don't doubt it....we're coming back next year!

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Well said MW....I could care less myself...I'm about enjoying the things I dig...and might I add, You sure look like you know a thing or two about enjoying....ha,ha...
    You killing me Gary....lol....Sidran kills me...;^)

That Western Hat Co. You posted looks great...The Real Deal....a hat you could leave to your kids and Grand Kids...
    When I first got reinterested in vintage hats, I check out the Fedora Lounge and learned a ton. After I bought that Borsalino, those cats at the 'lounge' helped me date it...and since then, I've needed to do a small repair or two, and those guys have given me priceless advice...:happy088:
    Hey, I don't care how much a hat costs..If I dig em....I'm wearing them and thus bonding with them...Its like copping a great razor..I'm gonna shave with it...and a great hat is suppose to protect me from the elements aswell as look great. So thats exactly what they do...;^) I wear my nicest fur felt hat almost daily, rain, sleet or snow and it still looks new, "knock on wood". And I had an inexpensive wool fedora that lost its shape and shrunk 2. Sizes the first time I wore it in the rain ha,ha,ha...So I'm with you on that, I won't own a hat I can't wear when and where I want...But I have found the better made hats are almost bullet proof...Therefore worth every penny...But on the other side of the coin, if a cat digs a cheaper hat, I'm all for it..To paraphrase my man Steve, "It's your hat, wear it your way"...ha,ha...I'm just saying if you drop a few bills for a 5 star hat and it last many decades of constant wear...I see no problem with that logic either...;^))
    Yeah man...Great pictures...Let the good times and great memories roll....And I 2nd DB, ' Beautiful family and hat..'
    Keep looking...there out there...The fact they're harder to find mades them that much more gratifying when you score!
    Those Broad Brims look great...and you look great in them... :happy088:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I wear sometimes a cheap straw fedora . My wife doesn't like it, says it makes me look old :) However she agrees if I'd have an australian hat, so I'm looking into a good quality australian outdoor hat. Any recommendations ?

15. Bird Lives

Akubra is the premier Australian hatters....They make a very well made and bullet proof type fur felt hat...Certainly great for harsh weather, rain, snow, doesn't seem to bother them....
    They make many styles...What style hat are you looking for...?

16. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Something light for hot weather... I'll check the Akubra site, thank you :)

Stroker likes this.
  17. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Great thread Lloyd! Thanks for starting this up. I see there are a number of TSD Gentlemen that are sporting hats. I wear Fedoras with my suites all of the time. My bald head needs the protection from the sun and without a Fedora my head looks like a pin head. I have a number of Panamas that I wear all the time in the summertime to protect my head from the sun and provide a cool lid. For casual use I also have about two dozen eight panels and Irish caps I wear. If I am outside I have some type of hat on my head. I personally do not like baseball caps (except on special occasions like baseball games or other Masonic/Shrine events where I am not wearing my Fez.) My Wife hates the baseball caps but she likes the way I look in the Fedoras and Ivy caps.
    Hat and caps are a matter of personal tastes and should be worn when and where you want. Wear what makes you comfortable and suites your personal style. As a older man I look appropriate with a Fedora and a suite and I am not out to impress anyone; it's just who I am. Great to see that many other Gentlemen on this forum also share a love of the lid. :happy088:

18. Bird Lives

"Love of the Lid" I dig it! I'm gonna be quoting this....or maybe flat 'plagerizing'.....LOL! It want be the first time I copped a lick from the "Stroker"-Bruce...;^)) BTW, Bruce...I really dig your Avatar...It's not that often someone is confortable enough with themselves to use their own pic as an avatar....Is that a military picture....:happy096:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Stroker and GDCarrington like this.
  19. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

April 2010 sehha hike.jpg
    Wearing my Tilley TH4 hemp, on the Appalachian trail out side of Hot Springs SC . Get them while you can.... the owner is retiring!

Stroker likes this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I used to wear ball caps, visors, and cowboy hats all the time. Since I started shaving my head hats can be a little itchy, so it's really just the cowboy hats occasionally for dress and sun. Plus, I've got young kids, one of them a girl, so there's the occasional tiara, bowl, box, crown, etc.

Here's my black 100x and grey 10x, both custom built. And my straw that's generally reserved for yard work.

image_4.jpg image_6.jpg image_7.jpg

ObiDon, jakie55, Jasman and 3 others like this.