Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I wear a Stetson Temple quite often especially in cooler weather. image.jpg

Bird Lives and rmcintyre84 like this.
  2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

... I sense another Corresponding Theme Song coming on.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/corresponding-theme-song.46365/page-9#post-891745

4. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Me, in a simple straw fedora, with my beautiful mother at her 70th high school reunion.
    2015-09-09 08.48.17.jpg

Spud and GDCarrington like this.
  5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Oh you meant a hat *I* would wear?

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Awesome!

7. rmcintyre84

This is from 1988. We're standing in front of the Memorial Fountain at Marshall University. I'm the one in the fedora. (Or is that technically a Panama?)
    IMG_1219933465231756-1.jpg

Spud and KLF like this.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I wear a black flat cap, and genuine Panama's in the summer...

GatorJoe and KLF like this.
  9. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

I have a sweet polo bucket hat I like to wear out in the boat and drink some beers after work. I don't wear hats unless I'm on my boat or on the golf course.

Sabre and KLF like this.
  10. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

The problem with hats. No one seems to take them off when they go indoors. That is a sign of poor manners and disrespect. I always take my hat off indoors and tip it when I meet a lady. Just the way I was brought up.

Greg W.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  11. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a fedora guy. I'll wear a wide brim Tilley canvas for hot, sunny days, but I think I always wanted to be Humphrey Bogart.

I can't help wondering why wearing a hat indoors became a sign of bad manners -- maybe insulting the homeowner by implying their roof won't keep the rain off your head?

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Me too.

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I like to take my hat off, but if there is no safe place to put it....I'll put it back on...I see absolutely nothing wrong with that...I have had very nice fur felt fedoras, sat on, drinks spilled on, waitresses have tossed them under a counter next to the cash register where retrieving it upon leaving I found it crushed and filthy. This is unexceptable...

In the day, while patronizing fast food restaurants, drug store food counters and Diners, a gentleman left his hat on because there was no safe place to put it...So as far as I'm concerned that rule applies to anywhere I patronize that doesn't have a safe haven for my hat, it goes back on my head....And I have no compunction with this...

And tip your hat to a lady or casually touching your brim is cool as long as you don't overstate the gesture...Today I feel unless it's an older lady or one who has my utmost respect...that a slight touch of the brim with a slight nod is more in line with todays vibe...and you have to judge your audience...Many very young women are shocked by the whole tipping the hat thing...if thats the case sometimes its better to just follow the social curve and forget tradition....

But it does look to me like a new hat culture is definitely growing...I see fedoras being worn everyday...and there does seem to be a whole new hat etiquette forming...Similar to the old one but alot looser and more casual....We shall see how it developes...

14. Bird Lives

Very nice skypiece....Stetson is really upping their game as of recently, I'm very glad to say....I think it's a sign of things to come...

Hatworks has brought back the Cavanaugh Edge...never thought I'd see that again, didn't know there was a demand...Lock &Co has the new Lock & Roll Line...and yes they even have a new Lock & Roll Homberg for the younger generation....

All in all I think it's a good sign of maybe a return to a classier vibe....Look at us here at the Den...A whole group of people where being clean shaven and good smelling every day of the week is thought of as normal...ha,ha...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    cmorris357 likes this.
  15. rmcintyre84

I've avoided driving caps for years, but finally decided to give them a try. What do you think?
    2015-10-02 14.34.45.jpg

16. Bird Lives

:happy088:....Works!

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't wear hats. I have a thin build with a thin face and thin jaw line. Most hats don't look right on me, especially fedoras. I was able to pull off the flat cap though. I bought one in Ireland and wore it all throughout my trip there. However, I do appreciate seeing people wear them instead of some old ratty baseball cap. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a ratty baseball cap when I'm out fishing or doing yard work, but there's a time and place for those.

Spud and gorgo2 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hurricane remnants blowing through, been raining steady since well before midnight. Breaking out the fedoras this morning.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I was raised that the only time you did not remove your hat indoors (but not in a home) was if you were armed. It was a warning to other gentlemen. Leaving a hat on, even if armed, implied that you didn't feel safe in the home.