Feeling the Need to Vent

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Michael_W, Sep 16, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I dont understand how it is so difficult finding a job, in todays climate. Unless there is something on your criminal record that is making it difficult. I have a 20 and an 18 yr old, who find jobs, at will. When their job ends, and they actually decide to find another job, they have one within a week. These pay between $9-$14 an hour.

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It sounds like you've given up and that's understandable but it also shows to the people you interact with. People can sense this and it affects their impression of you. Potential employers need to see confidence not defeat. They need to feel like you will show up and do the job whatever it is to the best of your ability. You won't get hired because they feel sorry for you. Try and focus on what you CAN do not what you cannot.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That last sentence is excellent advice to follow. We feel best when we succeed with our current strengths. This way, there is(or should be)less focus on struggling with our weaknesses.

AGHisBBS, RyX and Redfisher like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hero post! I have always lived with the thought that no job is beneith me. If I need a job mopping floors is great. Too many yelling they can not find work are really saying they can not find work they want. I tell them to stop whining or buy some cheese.....

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here in central Indiana, almost every fast food restaurant has a "now hiring sign". I can't imagine that Cleveland Heights and the surrounding area is any different. I simply can't. I have picked up trash and cleaned women's restrooms as a job. I agree with Fuzzy, there is NO job that is too demeaning or I wouldn't do to keep a roof over my head.

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting an employment agency? Not only do they have a vested interest in landing you a job, they can also offer valuable advice regarding your resume, and other aspects of your job search. Just google on 'employment agency' and the nearest city or region, and you should get some relevant hits. A lot of people discount this path, but the recruiters have always come through for me. Maybe they will for you, too?

Here are some online resources, in case it helps:

https://www.dice.com
    https://www.monster.com
    https://www.indeed.com

Good luck!

Edit:

Here is one such recruiting firm:

https://itcareers.apexsystems.com/

They have an office in Cleveland. That BA in Film and Digital Media could well be your key to a better future.

Apex Systems
    6480 Rockside Woods Blvd.
    Suite 270
    Independence, OH 44131
    216-532-7015

It never hurts to try, and they can probably offer valuable advice if you ask them how to approach your job search.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Good Will in many areas will set you up with work boots and clothes if you talk with them and some times are hiring people to sort donations and clerk in their stores.Since it sounds like you had a job helping the needy and working with the homeless try them and the Salvation Army since you have experience dealing with that group which sometimes takes a different touch.I know several people who started out as temps with these organisations and ended up staying longer.

8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Son of a...

Between 31 August and 5 September I was doing a door-to-door gig, four days during that period (direct marketing gigs are notoriously high turnover), and today made a second trip to the office to get my paycheck that was supposed to be ready Friday but got there just after the manager had departed for the weekend. So I get there this morning and I'm told that because of the independent contractor's contract I signed, I don't get any money from those four days because I didn't work a full six-day week and I only got two sales out of my quota. I'll be taking this up with the local branch of Department of Labor, but I don't think I'm gonna get my money for those four days I worked. I was counting on that to help pay my rent and bills, although I suspected they'd screw me over and hoped they'd be decent about things.

FFS...

9. Michael_W

Yes, and so far nothing...BUT...I have a phone interview for Wednesday morning with the food bank for a grant coordinator position. Wish me luck.

10. Michael_W

Oh I've been applying. No luck.

RyX likes this.
  11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

More than that, you need prayer.

12. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

good luck man,and I will say a prayer for you ,

13. brit

brit in a box

hope it goes well for you..

BigMark83 likes this.
  14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Well, when do you expect to have an answer?

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Here's wishing you the very best of luck!