Fendrihan horn replacement scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Spyder, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I say, go for it.

Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You don’t have much to lose at that price.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well I guess I’ll have to take one for the team:) Quite a while back I acquired a really nice Flic 6/8 with a beautiful blade, but the scales were cracked at the pivot. The scales totally failed after a couple of shaves. I ended up making a set of scales, which actually turned out very nice. However, the custom design of the scales never did set right asthetically with me. I’m thinking to replace the wooden scales with horn and include the three pins. What’s your thoughts??

s-l1605.jpg A9751827-7047-42C5-A13E-584C123C6781.jpeg

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It’s a personal choice, but I’d be so proud of the wood scales that I wouldn’t change them unless they were not functional.

6. DaltonGang

I agree with @Jim99 , it's your call. I think you should be proud of your wood scales. But, if it doesn't fit well in the hand, or look right to you, then you could reconteur them. Thin them out and make it sleeker looking.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It’s actually a very handsome razor and the scales are perfectly usable . My only beef is the blade is perfect, and I was hoping for more of an “original” appearance for this particular razor.
    I was contemplating re/purposing the wooden ones for perhaps a blade that needs a set of scales and a little shining.

Screwtape, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Go or it. You enjoy the shaves so make the razor perfect for you. You only live once.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  9. DaltonGang

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I get that. If you’re striving for an original look, the make the change and be sure to repurpose the wooden scales.

FWIW, I think the wooden scales look great.

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim :)

Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have used the Fendrihan horn scales and they are generally of good quality, for the price, though having said that both scales were slightly warped. I have also used the Fendrihan plastic scales (same low price) and they were fine...and no warping. I also purchased one of their no-name blade and built a SR for dirt cheap and it honed up nicely.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Guys:
    These scales are a steal at $9! They come with the wedge installed and pinned. I’m gonna move ahead with the rescale of the Flic.

7AF9F07A-0B44-40D2-BF44-FA29E38A7E4E.jpeg 3C399045-06A1-48C0-B500-FB36FF7F9DA7.jpeg

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also like the wood scales................

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim:) This only issue, I really have with the woodies, they are kind of unwieldy when stropping. I also think i may prefer a more "classic" look with this particular blade. I think having the spare woodies will also give me a good reason to search out a nice big blade without a set of scales. Shhh;)

Billyfergie, Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Makes sense, the other ones do look nice. I like that they come pinned and with a wedge installed. Does another pin and washers come with them also for the open end. I need to re-do one of mine also.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I hear what your saying. And it's your shaver.
    But I like the ones you made over the one size fits most replacements.
    To me it gives a Portland razor look. (I could be wrong). And my personal opinion chooses the custom over the mass produced.
    The ones you picked are nice also, i think your good either way.

Spyder and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Nice, I just ordered some.

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmmm....

Now which one of my razors should I rescsale?

Spyder likes this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

These are really quite nice for the $$. Wedge is already installed and pinned. I added the third pin and installed the blade. I’m happy the way this one turned out. This actually looks like a new shaver:)

B89EC50A-8FAA-4F97-832C-188739A6F448.jpeg F8D02683-F446-48B9-90F6-CA71E5708274.jpeg 2C67D250-47B5-415F-B770-ECCDD676F3B5.jpeg