Finally found my birth year/quarter razor.....

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Sontag, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

I was born in January of 1971, so I've been looking for an R1 date code razor. I really wanted a Q1 date code, but finding a nice one has been nearly impossible. I've been researching the "mysterious" Gillette Q1 date code, and I still haven't found the official rationale behind Gillette's decision to skip over Q.

A few days ago, I found a Super Adjustable with the illusive Q1 date code on eBay and won it last night.

Here at the pictures from the auction; I will try to take and post better pictures when I get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Why do you think that's a Q instead of an O? I thought they skipped Q and assumed it was because it looked too much like O.

3. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

The seller stated in both the auction title and in the description that the date code is Q1, so hopefully he is being honest. He has 139 positive feedbacks, with no negative feedback.

Here's more info on the Q code:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Date_Code_Q

http://richardsrazors.ecrater.com/p/18603769/1971-very-rare-mint-gillette-black

http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?p=185755

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/NY-Auburn-13021 (see 6th razor listed)

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's very cool.

5. Erik Redd

Very interesting, thanks for the info. That's a great birth quarter/year razor. It happens to be a very low production code and you found one.

My birth year/quarter code is D1 for '58. I'm still looking for a D1 Fatboy, eventually I'll find one for a price I'm willing to spend.

Congrats.

6. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

My job involves travel throughout 4 states, and I stop at antique stores/malls often; I'll keep an eye out for a D1 Fatboy.

Send me a PM with your price range, and I'll pick one up for you if I come across one at a good price.

This Q1 birth quarter/year razor is the first one I bought from eBay; the rest of my collection came from antique stores/malls. So far, the razors that I have bought from stores/malls were all priced well below what I see them sell for on eBay.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. Erik Redd

Thanks, but I'll eventually find one and half the fun is in the search. I'm not really a collector, I just like to try a lot of different razors. Having said that, I have a D1 Red Tip and Flare Tip and eventually will find a D1 Blue tip and Tech (even though I don't really like how either shave). I've got another Fatboy to use until I find a D1. I had to go and count but I've got 31 vintage razors (DE's, SE's and Injectors) that I play with and all are user grade, no showpieces in the lot. When I die my wife will probably sell the lot for $5 at a garage sale.

9. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

No mistaking the Q int eh date code on this razor I just scored and which will be on the auction site here in just a few minutes. Based on this one in my hand, I have to say that there is a few of the Gillette Mistake Q1 short handled black beuty razors out there. I assume these are from 1971 according to other articles I have read
    [​IMG]

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. Glad you got it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Awesome! Congrats. Someday I will find a third quarter, 1955.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Persistence pays off. Congrats.

Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

Still some out there, I just got another and of course. 3rd one I have found in the past year or so. I have a mint one in my collection. But here is the one I have going now

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    ob1page likes this.
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Congrats on finding your Illusive birth year razor.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk