Finding vintage items

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Leo501, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Aside from online searches and various websites, do you do other things to find vintage items?

I was wondering about things like garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc.

2. brit

brit in a box

all of the above..:)..

Leo501 and S Barnhardt like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Antique stores and thrift shops

Leo501, brit and Herm2502 like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've never had much success locally and driving lots of miles is not something I prefer. As a result, eBay is where I spend the most time. For me, research in determining the correctness of a vintage item is essential.

Leo501, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Check Facebook marketplace.

Leo501 and brit like this.
  6. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

eBay & ETSY, are the best online places to look. I also go to estate sales every week, as well as garage sales. When I am in the
    mood, I go out and look through Goodwill Shops, Antique Shops and Flea Markets, when they happen and so on. But, I am retired
    and I have the time. I am also an online seller and look for many other items, that I like to sell.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Antique shops and estate sales. It's the estate sales where I've found a '65 Slim, a New Standard, a '58 TV Special SS, a '70 Black Beauty, and a few other items like a vintage shaved mug. Sometimes the people didn't realize they could sell the razor and had to dig it out of the trash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

On occasion I hit the Good Will and do get some great deals, like a mint F4 toggle for $7.00....I guess it's not quite mint anymore seeing as how I use it quite often. Also picked up my flare tip there for $2.00

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

brit, Leo501 and johnnyflake like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Family, friends, Thrift, Antique shops,Yard sales

brit and Leo501 like this.
  10. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Went to my first antique store, a small local shop, on Saturday, and just missed a razor or handle that that the worker thought the owner had gotten in over the last few weeks. It was fun browsing- paintings, albums, etc. and I'll head back again and go elsewhere. I have a few other places lined up including some Goodwill stores.

John Beeman and brit like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Craigs list has gotten me some very nice hauls.

:eatdrink013:

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think there is no avoiding the fact that such a search will be hit-or-miss. You just have to keep looking at yard sales, antique shops, eBay, etc.

Leo501 and Paul Turner like this.