Fine Accoutrements price hike.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Omaney, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The question will soon become: What's better, Fine or Wm. Neumann/Phoenix Accoutrements, and others that are in the $20 range to begin with?

Might as well get Clubman in comparison.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and SharptoothC like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Shall we really call this a "double negative"? Don't think so Paul. :rolleyes005:

clint64 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So do you not think we need not call out double negatives needlessly? :eek:

5. Paul Turner

I certainly didn't mean that as a criticism.

LevelupShaves and clint64 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, sandwich me in shortbread and call me a cookie! Didn't you just hit the nail on the head?

“I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men.”
    Lao Tzu

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i have 2 fine platinum ,2 italian citrus,and 1 american blend.this should last a while with all my other aftershaves i have.really starting to use and like stirling aftershaves as i can source them in canada.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'm not sure how this will fit in considering how many have suggested $20 is too much to pay for Fine A/S but here goes.

I really like their products and I think they're worth $20. I always thought they were a steal at $15.

That aside, I'll slap on Truefitt & Hill ($75) or I'll slap on Brut ($7.50) and like both and pay for both. I'm not sure that T&H is ten times better than Brut but I like both and I've got both in my cabinet. I can't afford T&H every day but birthdays and Christmas have provided me with some of the pricier stuff right next to the bargain brands.

I really like several of the Fine A/S scents and I'll probably buy more when I run out.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Original post corrected to remove the double negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    I don't think there's not anything wrong with double negatives--or triple negatives, for that matter. Just that that particular post failed to have one. Not?

11. Primotenore

Article Team
    You're not not forgiven...:)

12. Paul Turner

Actually, Glen Campbell himself, in what was and is my favorite song he did(Gentle On My Mind)did a double:

"But NOT to where I canNOT see you waving at the back roads
    By the rivers flowin' gentle on my mind".

Enrico likes this.
  13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I certainly don't begrudge anyone who wants to buy at that price. If you derive enjoyment that you believe to be equal to or greater than the cost and you have sufficient funds to cover the cost, it's a perfectly good call. My decision is based on a personal cost/value/budget assessment. Budgets are relative, as is value when we are talking about wants and preferences vs needs. I know what my budget is, and as it stands Fine was already the most I had spent on an aftershave (technically I bought them with a gift card, so I didn't spend "my" money), as it was at the top of the limit I set for myself. That's personal choice because I would rather spend the extra within my budget on soaps or razors. I enjoy Fine aftershaves. I just enjoy others that are cheaper just as much.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

14. brit

brit in a box

i agree that nobody wants to pay more for a product that they have bought and used for years,but sometimes prices do go up for many reasons.i like the scent so i will probably buy more when i run low.i also believe in a little brand loyalty.
    if the product quality decreased and the price stayed the same i wouldn t be happy.if the product stayed the same and the price went up i would still buy it if it is a must have.maybe manufacturing costs,etc have gone up like everything else on this planet and one has to keep up to stay in business.
    i like heinz ketchup.if the store is out i go without.i am a small business owner and i do the best i can for my clients,however,car parts and services i have to pay for monthly go up in price.my clients understand that cost go up from time to time but like the quality of my work .(auto shop).
    now i don t believe in corporate greed.that hurts everyone but the ones at the top.if brand loyalty and quality doesn t matter then stuff disappears.
    i giggle at what some people spend on razors and high end brushes,but complain about the small stuff.aftershave is a luxury after all.just my .002 cents

15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've heard about the price increase, but not the actual amount. How will the final cost compare to the likes of PAA and Razorock? IMO, they are of similar quality, so prices should also be similar.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Alright a few things
    1. It’s not a small increase it’s over 30% for a product that is alcohol and menthol if Sterling’s jumps to $17 and TSD suddenly jumps to $13.50 then I would believe the cost is on materials but in such a competitive market large increases are a bad idea.
    2. It’s okay to have differing opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbuter and PLAla like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have six different bottles of aftershave that I've had for several years. Most are still nearly full except for a bottle of Clubman that is almost 5 years old. I consider the cost per use to be so low that I buy what I like and don't worry about it. At my current rate of usage, I may not even need to buy another bottle anyway. I must not bathe in it like some of you. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

Quite honesty, if I scrutinize my overall spending, I can probably find better ways to save money than worrying about my aftershave purchases.

My 2 cents anyway.

brit, danbuter and PLAla like this.
  18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This thread has been cleaned up also.

Keep it civil, and allow others to have and express their own opinions.

americanshamrock and TheFiveO like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You earn the money all by yourself and so you should spend it the way you like, on the things you like. If FINE is overcharging ultimately they only hurt themselves. As far as I can tell nothing they sell is impossible to live without.

TheFiveO and Primotenore like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    You could apply that statement to 99% of the shave products we purchase.