First 2 hand turned brushes

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by TheCopperHat, Apr 21, 2010.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

So these guys are the first 2 of 4 handles I turned, plugged with golden nib 20 and 22mm silver tip knots (which I love) The other two are awaiting a 22mm and 28 mm knot that will soon be on order. They were turned from mahogany, polished with turners polish and the large handle was then waxed with carnuba.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. geneaut

geneaut Member

Beautiful !

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Fantastic job! :signs107

Can't wait to see that 28mm brush when it's finished. :)

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Nicely done!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

sweet!!!

7. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Thanks! And I'm also quite excited to finish the 28 I think it'll be a fantastic brush.

8. Desdinova

Desdinova New Member

Very nice!

9. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Sparcotsi, nice work. I've done lot's a woodturning and would offer this advice for what it's worth to you.

If the finish you're talking about is a friction polish it simply will not hold up to the use...especially with the water involved and the carnuba wax, while a very hard wax, will water spot right off the get go.

I'd recommend a wipe on poly finish. Hopefully some of the other brush makers will also chime in with the finishes that work for them and we can all benefit. You could also call Tony at the Nib and ask what he recommends.

Be well,
    Cyril

10. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Cyril,

Thanks alot I appreciate it, being the first 4 I've turned I just applied my father in laws turners polish as I wasn't really expecting these to turn out as well as they did, the carnuba I thought would hold up alot better though, i'll buff it out and reapply a sealing coat as I don't want the big brush to fail. I'm definatley hooked on this and have procured a block of brass and one of aluminum and will be spinning those up in the future some time.

Brad

11. LowellB

LowellB Member

It would be nice to have access to some decent woodworking equipment just for projects like this.

12. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I got into it by keeping an eye on the classified ads around my house and found an old wood lathe for sale for very cheap, after that it was simply sourcing the wood to use as a beginner. Since these two I have turned around 100 projects now, and have 2 lathes, a mini metal/wood and a midi wood lathe. They both have there advantages and disadvantages. It's very enjoyable and I live in an appt but managed to build a rolling cart that I can wheel outside to work on. It just takes some creativity to get yourself setup.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wow! Very nice!

14. paydepst

paydepst Member

Very nice work!

15. Kojak

Kojak New Member

Love it!

16. Scout

Scout New Member

Love the feel of working wood, almost better than the finished product. They look great, I'm thinking of doing some in stainless.

James

17. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

It's been a while since those first few. Scout what kind of lathe are you using? Right now I just picked up a length of 316 marine grade stainless steel rod. I'm getting pretty excited to spin up a few handles out of that. Not the cheapest material nor the lightest but should be interesting!

18. chadstar

chadstar Member

They look fantastic :signs107 :signs154

19. Griz

Griz Member

Those look great, keep up the work.

I have to agree that any wax finish really will not hold up for very long.

The wipe on poly is good and I usually use satin finish polyeurethane. 3 coats and 0000 steel wool between each coat for a beautiful smooth finish, then carnuba wax last, and I haven't had any problems at all.

Will N.

20. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I now use marine grade epoxy for sealing my brushes, a little tempermental but high gloss, water proof and incredibly strong.