First attempt at a SR shave was a failure

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by blanka, Mar 24, 2014.

1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I decided to take my recently reconditioned SR out for an inaugural face drive last evening and it did not go well at all. I went full-on face prep...hot shower, Prorasso Pre-Shave, P.160

I carefully set the angle and went to work. SKIP. I gathered my wits and tried again, SKIP. Now I was freaked out, and my wife was giving me a horrified look. I tried one more time and SKIP-SKIP.

So....I stopped and shaved with my Cobra Classic.

I don't think it was my prep, I was thorough about that. Don't know if it was my stropping or not, I feel like that part didn't go perfectly. Lastly, I suppose it could have been my angle.

Argh.

20140318_190608_resized.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like my first time with a str8.
    Hang in there, keep tryin', you'll get it! Heck, it's all our ancestors had to use; they managed and so can you!

Love those scales, by the way.

Mr. Oldschool likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sounds completely normal to me :) Your straight is probably not as sharp as whatever you're using in the Cobra so it can be a challenge.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Patience and dedication is required. Nice scales by the way.

blanka likes this.
  5. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

:signs011:

I think when I first started, I skipped like crazy. My belief is that it goes away when your confidence improves, at least that's how it went for me. Occasionally I will get a skip now and then if I'm being too cautious, or if my beard prep left a spot that isn't slippery enough. Shave Secret oil has helped me a lot. Spread it around, work it in, then lather up. Sometimes I'll add more for a third pass, sometimes it isn't necessary. Glycerine soap seems to be more slippery than cream soap too. Prorasso can sometimes be a little on the thin side in my opinion, at least if you don't use a lot of it. It also seems like if you are used to using thinner lather for DE shaving, you may be surprised at how it doesn't work the same for straights. That lather has to be thick.

swarden43 likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Which I why I like to use a Pre-Shave Oil for my str8 shave.
    Which is why I prefer to use a TSD soap for my str8 shave.

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    How was it honed ????

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Yep, just got it back from Whipped Dog.

10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice scales. Hang in there, it takes a while to figure out the proper technique.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

This is actually a good and informative video from Lynn that could help you out as well, dealing with angle, etc. It's a little long so feel free to skip up to the point where he starts shaving.

12. rpaduano

rpaduano Active Member

I've had the same experience. I limited myself to a WTG pass only and did not touch the chin or upper lip area. I decided that I need more practice holding and manning the razor properly around my face. I certainly have not done a lot of the things I need to do right, but that's just a matter of practice. I and going to keep at it. And continue to improve my skill, and yes, I did nick myself but only mildly. Keep at it.

13. Mr. Oldschool

Not to scare anyone, but I nicked myself a couple times that left marks for a few months. They still heal, but the potential is there to leave a scar, so don't rush into going against or accross the grain. Don't expect to get a great shave at first- settle for a fair shave with no nicks as your first goal.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

In my experience, with a properly honed razor and a good stropping and good skin stretching will result in no need for XTG or ATG pass; the shaves turn out lovely smooth.

15. Mr. Oldschool

I only wish I could hone that well...

16. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Yep. I've only been at it about 10 days. It took me that long to get the angle right, and figure out how to shave my face most efficiently. I still do one pass with the straight, and then finish shaving with a couple of passes with the DE. I'm much better with the SR today than I was 10 days ago, and I'm certain I'll be better than that 10 days from now. Give yourself some time, go slow. No one said you had to do your whole face with the SR starting out. Do one pass, or one area(like your cheeks from the sideburns down), and finish with your "normal" razor. When you have that area down, do a bit more. Keep doing that until you're doing a whole pass on the face.
    It might take a while before you can go with just the SR. I know it will with me. But I'm going to take my time and enjoy the experience, and the journey. You should, too.

gssixgun and vwp528 like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find that as my honing skills continue to improve, so does the resulting quality of my shaving experiences. With an extremely sharp blade, even ATG is not an uncomfortable pass.
    I am still learning 'how to hone' properly, and through studying others who are far more knowledgeable in the craft (via video of both Glen & Lynn), and applying their techniques in my attempts, it has been very educational.

gssixgun likes this.