First Attempt at Brush Making

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GarnerPW, Nov 7, 2017.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Thank you Jim. The tube said about 3hrs but the knot came out tonight about 24hrs later. The glue was still tacky so I put the knot back in the handle. I will let it set a week then before messing with it again. How long does epoxy take to cure?

mrchick likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Epoxy is rated by the "working" time. It takes 24 hours to cure though. So, 5 minute epoxy means you can mix it and you have 5 minutes to work with it before it starts to set up, but it will be cured and ready for use in 24 hours.
    What kind of silicone are you using? I make sure my knot fits the hole before I start to set it. I put a dollop of clear silicone in the bottom of the hole and use a q-tip to put a thin coat on the walls. I push the knot into the hole, pull it out to see how the silicone is coating it. If there seems to be to much, I remove some. I turn it a quarter turn, and push it back into the hole. I want to make sure it covers all of the plug without coming out the top. You may have used too much silicone, too little, or gotten bad coverage. Anyhow, if you are going to use silicone, let it sit a couple of days just to be sure. With epoxy, you can use it in a day.

3. GarnerPW

GE Premium Silicone Glue.
    20171121_200836~2.jpg
    Thank you sir.

jason koonce, Linuxguile and mrchick like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Sometimes I will use coins to adjust the loft.
    [​IMG]

GarnerPW and mrchick like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

From previous discussion I've learned that you will want to make sure it says 100% silicone on the tube like the one Jim showed. This is what I used on a couple of knots and one is stuck so good I couldn't pull it out when I tried.

20171122_134536.jpg

Jayaruh, Keithmax and GarnerPW like this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good job! Nice brushes. :happy096:

GarnerPW likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021:

GarnerPW likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah. You have to grab the knot tightly near the hole and work it back and forth. I have had some that were really in there, but they finally gave it up. I was able to re-use the knot.

GarnerPW and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You are off to a good start. Looking at your first picture, the 2nd from the right is my favorite. Long, slender handles like that are well-suited to a woman’s hand. If you have a special lady who would like a nice brush, I suggest you save that one for her.

GarnerPW likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

signs107.gif

GarnerPW likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You've done a fantastic job!

Robyflexx and GarnerPW like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great job. They look great. The main thing that you have fun doing it.

Let us know when you are ready to put some up for adoption. I would be proud to be one of their caretakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GarnerPW likes this.
  13. GarnerPW

Thank you Tom. I'll do that.

twhite likes this.
  14. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Wow those are awesome I like the 3rd from the left

Robyflexx, GarnerPW and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Looks great. I would love to do something like that, but I am a guy who can get lost in a bathtub and the sort of fool who would glue his fingers together in attempting to set a knot.

Macktheknife

GarnerPW likes this.
  16. GarnerPW

Hey if I can do it, anybody can do it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Oh, I have never recovered from the shame of the shoe shine box I built in junior high shop. Anything beyond screwing in a light bulb or checking the oil is a stretch.

18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Awesome work Ken! :happy096:

GarnerPW likes this.