First Blood?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jabez 58, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

First blood! Well actually No.
    I have just for the very first time shaved with a straight razor and now I'm wondering why has it taken me till my 60's to do so!
    Recently I picked up in with a job lot of de razors a nice looking old (pre Dovo?)Bismarck Jr. razor but with a broken scale.
    I sent the blade off to Billyfergie ( who did a super job) to check and hopefully hone for me
    I then fitted some new scales and hey presto... Ready to go !
    The whole technique is somewhat different and will take some getting used to but I'm really pleased with the results and no blood A couple of weepers yes and some burn but all in all a super first time experience.
    I'm definatly a convert.
    If anyone has any technique advice and razor upkeep care as I progress I would be most grateful,
    Gra

2. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

The use of a SR has become routine. I hone my own using a combination of films, stones, and paste which results in near or true shavette edges. Like you, I am into my 6th decade and have been using a SR/shavette since July 2018.

I find I need whatever it takes to be a whole face shaver and get as close as a GEM MMOC.

I keep a flat blade and heavily hydrated later. I am not able to do an ATG on my sides. I use two hands to go ATG below my bottom lip. No ATG on the moustache area. I still use a circa 1930 Schick for side burn and nostril area.

brit and M14Shooter like this.
  4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Sounds like a great experience with an excellent razor.

As far as razor care, just dry it completely after you finish, and I like to find a place to leave it open for 12 hours to make sure you don’t close it into a wet scale. I use a closet outside the humidity of the bathroom.

Awesome to see you enjoyed the experience.
    Tom

brit and M14Shooter like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great job and welcome to the Dark Side!
    iu.jpg

Steve56 and brit like this.
  6. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

As Primo said, but I usually just run a piece of paper towel or toilet paper between the scales to soak up any small droplets of water.

brit likes this.
  7. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice I appreciate it,
    Had my second shave today, I got a better angle on the blade this time and the shave was much improved in both comfort and cut! Getting the position of my hands right and being able to see what I'm doing is a learning curve as it not putting pressure on the razor. But all in all I'm pleased and determined to get there

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.