First brush restoration

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mustache, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worrie about the shedding to much they seem to stop after a bit. They look great and already have a nice bloom to them!

2. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

That's what I figured about the shedding. Defiantly bloomed nice and look "pretty". As mentioned earlier though, the badger bloomed too much and just fans out flat on my cheek when wet. I know better for next time.

Daytonkb likes this.
  3. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

definitely a learning curve for you on setting your next knot!

Mustache likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work! Enjoy!

Mustache likes this.
  5. Mustache

I don't suppose there's a way to "unglue" a newly secured knot without destroying it to reset it...is there..

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Not if you use epoxy. Tom @hoosier trooper uses Silicone glue so that he can reset a knot. It is not permanent but good enough to stay attached while using it.

7. Mustache

Well crap then.. Guess there was a $20 mistake. I'll give it (the badger brush/white handle) a few more tries. Otherwise I'll either redo it or make it a display piece.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't look at it that way - it's $20 spent for a training session. :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Mustache

True.... Just wish it was a $9.95 training session.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey, good trainers are hard to come by ;), and always worth it.

GDCarrington and Mustache like this.
  11. Mustache

I know this is technically my third brush but this seems to be a good timeline thread of my "first few" brush restores. Soooo...... Here's how deep I'm setting this black badger knot. The hard part about fitting the knot is they seem to be bigger just above the knot base(glue) which requires enlarging the hole a bit to get it to set down further.
    [​IMG]

clint64 likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I like your 3rd handle. It will look good with the knot you have chosen. The hair above the plug is usually between 1-2mm larger than the glue plug itself. If you are going to do some more of these restorations, you might find in helpful to get a cheap digital caliper. In my area Northern Tool and Harbor Freight have them for around $20. Makes it much easier to measure the openings, plugs and depth. Luckily I have a nice one, that I use in reloading.

Mustache and GDCarrington like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent tool for the hobbyist!

Mustache and clint64 like this.
  14. Mustache

I've actually got a small caliper for when I was reloading also, somewhere. I haven't been able to reload for some time now and not sure where its at. Maybe I'll find another one this weekend.

clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It really comes in handy. Takes alot of the guess work out of setting the knot to the desired depth.

16. Mustache

And now the wait for the glue to fully cure. This is before the first wash. I'll post a picture again tomorrow sometime after the first wash/bloom.
    [​IMG]

clint64, GDCarrington and Jayaruh like this.
  17. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Looks good, excellent.

americanshamrock likes this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking good.

Mustache likes this.
  19. Mustache

One more question.... For now... When restoring two piece handle brushes, do you leave them as a two piece or glue the halves together and be done with it? Is there a reason to not glue them together?
    [​IMG]

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They should be glued together to prevent accidental separation damage while in use.

Mustache likes this.