First DE razor -- Tech or Krona?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TeachMe, Jan 1, 2009.

1. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

I am just getting into wet shaving and am trying to decide between getting a Tech or a Krona. Would there be any difference in learning technique with these two razors? Any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, Sunday I'll be picking up a Best Badger Brush from Crabtree & Evelyn. I bought some CO Bigelow today from Bath and Body Works (had to go ahead and try it this afternoon just lathering with my hands). So once I decide on a razor, I think I'll be all set to begin. Until then, I plan to practice my prep skills and learn to produce and use lather correctly.

2. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Welcome, they're both pretty mild shavers. Either one should get you headed in the right direction.

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Tech is probably easier to find(or a superspeed), than a Korona would be.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

First of all Welcome!

There may be a slight difference in technique between the Krona and Tech. The Krona has flat spots on the silo doors that almost automatically find the correct angle. With the Tech you will have to practice some to find that perfect angle. It's not hard to learn and I'd say it's a skill you should master eventually anyway. I'd suggest the Tech myself, but you won't go wrong with either razor.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would recommend a tech for awhile.. then get a SE .....

Fuzzy

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Either one would be a great starter razor, but why limit yourself to one? ;)

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was being nice and not starting an AD :D

Fuzzy

8. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

go with Tech. they are good to start with and keep using.

9. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

ohhhh with the SE. give me a break you heathen.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Maybe he is a real man that can use one :signs080::duel

Fuzzy

11. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I agree with Fuzzy. He should definately use the SE as a stepping stone to the slant.

Sorry, couldn't resist

12. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hey, welcome! Both razors are known to be very good beginner razors. Techs are easier to find, but I see that the Zook is selling a couple of kronas...you might check them out--I know a very respectable gentleman on another forum who has said that the Krona is the very best starter DE.

Everyone has different experiences, so try it out!

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

old type.

no shim neither.

welcome.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now listen you..............:happy102

Fuzzy

15. I started out with a Merkur Futur. Arguably not the best starter razor out there, but probably not the worst. And its a razor that I still enjoy using from time to time when I'm not using a straight.

You can't really go wrong with the choices you've listed IMO.

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

it seems like I responded to a question just like this one across the street...:think002

anyhoo, both are great, and excellent for beginners and vets alike.
    Pros:
    - Tech ... smooth and forgiving, can be found cheap, nice all-metal feel
    - Krona ... smooth and forgiving, can be found chealp, long handle, feels and controls great even with plastic handle, TTO

Cons:
    - Tech ... 3 piece razor, which provides more opportunities for blades to bite ya'
    - Krona ... plastic handle doesn't seem "old-schooly" enough for some

both are excellent, you won't regret either...or both :D

the most important factor with either, however, will be blade choice

17. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

Thank you for all the replies so far. Hopefully I'll be able to compare these at some point, but it looks like for now it'll be a toss up. I'll keep everyone updated on what I end up getting and how it goes.

18. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I got my first Tech sometime around the Korean War. It always has, and always will be a major part of my rotation. They are great razors for a newbie or a old dog like myself. The Tech (mainly the old NDC Fat Handled Techs) are forgiving, smooth shavers.

19. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I vote for the tech.....as Rolls said....my fav is the fat handle tech. Very forgiving and great starter razor. I use a tech 80% of the time!

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

any updates TeachMe?