First DE shave and first impressions

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Steve_1993, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

So today my razor and supplies arrived for to to start wet shaving, the equipment I got was a merkur futur, a puck of MWF and a fran finest badger shaving brush.

DSCF1062.jpg

The person who I bought the razor off also supplies you with a free sample pack as well as the merkur blade that comes with the razor.

Prep: had a shower wetting the face and using an all natural face and body scrub.

The MWF I found lathered quickly with my water although I must admit I do need practice making lather, it didn't turn out as thick or slick as I would like but that can be fixed with some practice I think.

Today I used the merkur blade that came with the razor, sharp enough to cut through my growth.

I had a 2 pass shave which left me with a very close shave and feeling good even though I came out with one little cut that is currently refusing to stop bleeding and razor burn I still feel better than after a shave with any other type of razor.

Any additional tips please leave them below

2. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Welcome to the den. The merkurs can and will bite given the chance. That said its more about technique and lather than anything else. It took me a week or so to shave without a blood letting and some blade and razor combos still get me. Id pick one blade to get accustomed to and start with a mild setting on your razor. Im a huge fan of the green wrapper astras and black lable 7 oclock gillettes.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I would recommend doing some practice lathers since you said you weren't thrilled with your lather, and that big ole puck of Fat will still last a good long time, even if you waste a few lathers.

That Merkur is a big heavy razor, so pay extra close attention to not applying any extra pressure, just let that big Futur apply any needed pressure.

I also like Kyhunter's advice of sticking to one blade and setting, helps to remove the variables while you learn technique.

4. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

Last night I did a practice lather in a bowl and this morning I made my lather in the same bowl, I must say that I am much happier because I can see what it needs easier so I am hoping with a bit more practice I will fa e lather again,but my main problem's with my lather was 1) to dry and 2) needed to use a little more soap.

My 2nd shave this morning was much better, no cuts and less razor burn, along with the fact I am incredibly close to BBS already with a 2 pass shave.

Btw the first blade I used out my samples is the merkur, sharp but not too sharp so far. I must also say that the feather blade is going to be sitting there for a long time before I decide to use it. I will have to have heavy growth before then.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Many people will tell you that with the Fat you don't really get the perfect lather till it hits your face, you can come close when whipping it up in the bowl, but it still needs a little more work when it hits your face to hit the really sweet spot.....

Just something to think about. :)

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very true. I read somewhere on TSD, I think it was a post by Erik, that a manufacturer rep once stated MWF was designed to be face lathered.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I agree with the face lathering for MWF.

Also, the pressure thing is extremely important, especially coming over from cartridges, which is what I assume you are doing. It is almost like a light goes off about the no pressure concept. You can achieve the best shave of your life without pressing on the razor AT ALL. It is weird to think about without trying it. Look at it as if you are trying to get a splinter out. Getting the blade between the splinter and your skin doesn't require you to dig in, which is what applying pressure is doing essentially. All you have to do is graze the surface and get the blade between the hair and skin, the razor does the rest.

Harness the pressure and you have your razor burn and 90% of the discomfort handled. Then all you have left to do is add menthol to the equation and you will have achieved nirvana:anifrozen :D;)

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not I. I don't recall who said it, but it was on the thread where I was trying to get the travel sized Omega boar to work with MWF and try both bowl and face lathering. I never did get that combination to work, but since MWF works wonderfully with all other brushes, I've just let that one go.

To the OP, it sounds like a typical start and it will only get better. The advice regarding no pressure and not changing settings on the adjustable razor is very good advice. Keep it up and you'll be handing out the advice before you know it.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What everyone else said, also can't be said enough with soap I say ditch the lather bowl. Load brush and take it straight to the face to lather, I've yet to be able to get good lather from soap using a bowl.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:happy088

It'll only get better.

11. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

Welcome to the fun. You may already be doing this but I'd suggest picking up an alum block. It is useful for stopping knicks and letting you know where you may have been a little too rough on your face (it will burn nicely if you haven't been gentle). They aren't super expensive and all you have to do is get it wet and run it over your face!.

12. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

13. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Styptic Pencil. You can find them at the grocery store or CVS or something. Stops the bleeding instantly. You have to wet it first, then rub it where the boo-boo is, then yer good. let your face dry, you'll see the white patch that is left behind from the residue of the styptic. It'll sting, but only for a second. Once your face is dry & you see that white patch, THEN put the aftershave on. The aftershave takes care of the white patch.

Merkur's are AWESOME! You'll love yours!

14. OakCreekHitter

OakCreekHitter New Member

Once you go DE, you cant go back!