First DE shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Guillaume, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume Member

The razor: 1930s vintage Gillette Tech (fat handle) with Crystal blade.
    The brush: Vulfix Super Badger 2234.
    The cream: Nancy Boy replenishing.

I joined your esteemed company, mostly lurking. I’ve watched the Mantic videos. I obsessed over razor, blade, and brush. Guided by your advice, I made my choice. I waited for a weekend morning when I wouldn’t have to rush. I consulted the stars. Today would be the day.

I soaked the brush in a sink of hot water while I showered and left my face wet afterward. I tried to generate some serious lather a la Trader Joe’s tutorials but had absolutely no luck, so I just applied the cream directly to my face with the brush. (I used just a dab of cream, but, as I understand it, you don’t need to use much to generate lots of lather.)

I made 3 to 4 passes, all WTG, with some additional touch-up work. (I don’t habitually shave XTG or ATG, and it didn’t seem a good idea to try to get fancy the first time out of the box with a DE razor.) I tried to keep the blade angle as shallow as possible while still making some inroads on my (admittedly light) 2-day growth. I’m sure that my approach this first time out was tentative. (I have a neurological disorder that can make shaving even with a Sensor or other modern razor an interesting endeavor. I once had hoped to try shaving with a str8, but I’ve had to mothball that dream.)

I’m happy to report that I emerged without any nicks or cuts. (I now know what you folks mean when you refer to a mild razor.) Although I have some Nancy Boy aftershave, I just let myself walk around with open pores this time. I’ve not been an aftershave user up till now, but I’m open to persuasion.

Overall, I’m pleased. There are parts of my face that are as smooth as they’ve ever been since I began shaving more years ago than I”d like to admit. (Mostly my cheeks, and they’re easy, of course. Chin and jawline are as good as they usually are or better. I do have some razor burn, but I should get better with time ( he said optimistically).

I welcome your further advice, particularly in the lather-generating area. Thanks for this forum.

An aside to the mods. I’ve discovered that my lame attempts at humor can stop a thread dead in its tracks. So, any time a thread shows signs of having outlived its usefulness, give me a call. My rates are very reasonable :rolleyes:

2. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Cool! Good for you..

Sounds like a good first out.. Keep at it..
    And remember.. No pressure.. short strokes.. and dont overdo it..

About the lather.. Get a bowl.. or a BIG teacup.. or similar..

Soak brush.. shake of exess water (easier to add water later) put a almond sized dollop in your bowl.. then start whipping in circular motions.. add warm water if needed.. Keep adding water until you have what should look like whipped cream..

Take brush and work the lather in your face..

Shave..

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't worry, it just keeps getting better. ;)

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I was under your same thinking about the aftershave. YOu should really try some. Its such a refreshing feeling feeling that sting.and it really does help to close the pores.and kinda llow you a recovery from what you just did.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Only advice I can give on lathering is to do it often and keep doing it. 3-4 times a day. I still, after over a year of lather-making, will make a bad lather here and there. You'll learn, however, through practice....how to recoup the lather and turn out a good shave

Congratulations on the first, and here's to many more ::

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

We'll havta remember that. ;)

But congrats on your first DE outing! As far as the lathering, what Joe and Thomas said!! Enjoy those shaves!!

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I think we have all felt like this at some point. :o

Anyway, congratulations on your first DE shave! Here's to more. ::

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Good Job!!! Just keep experimenting making lather as indicated by Joe. It will take a couple of attempts to get the water/cream ration just right. Some water is harder than others making a bit difficult to generate lather.

Once you get the brush nice and loaded with water, let it drip and then give it a couple of good shakes. Begin to lather adding a couple of drops as you go to get to that merengue consistency. Sometimes it is better to start a bit on nthe dry side and add water. This way you will see how much water your specific cream will take to get it just right for you.

Raf