First Impression - Tabac

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by hrairy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tabac is a top-notch soap. To me it's a keeper.

Tdmsu, JBSharp, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@crackstar I wouldn't call Tabac a top-notch soap, this soap is a bloody 'Holy Grail' ;):p

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

From what I've read about Tabac, it reminds me of the essential gentleman of the 30's and 40's, waiting for his train, reading a newspaper, wearing a hat.

Tdmsu, battle.munky, JBSharp and 2 others like this.
  4. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Well, I like it. I got my bowl last week and just broke into it today. SOTD was:
    1954 Super Speed
    Wilkinson Sword (modern German blade, with 2 or 3 shaves on it)
    My trusty VDH boar brush
    Tabac bowl
    Post-shave: Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

Even with a twice- or thrice-used Wilkinson Sword, I got a nice shave. But that's not why we're here. Why are we here? The scent! I have to say I like it. From the freshly opened bowl, the scent wasn't overpowering. Even while lathering, it was nice, not a brash assault on the senses. I was right in my previous guess that it's a classic cologne-type scent. The kicker is that my wife likes it also, so that's cool. And that's good, because it's stayed with me. That part may take some getting used to because I don't normally use any kind of scented aftershave or cologne. My wife likes it when I do, so this should be a win, and I don't mind carrying a scent from a soap as opposed to an added splash. I do like it, and it's been a gentle companion throughout the morning. Okay, maybe that's taking it too far. But it's nice. It's a keeper.

5. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Was it the black packed blade or was it the wilkinson sword made by gillette blades on the blue pack?

6. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

They came loose in a TSD sampler (yay TSD!) but they're in a white wrapper with "Wilkinson Sword" and the crossed swords all over. I guess they're the German blades, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a photo I stole off of the internet. WilkSwordInner.jpg

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

You can always PIF it.. My pm box is always open.. Lol let me know if you need my address..

theFAT98 likes this.
  8. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah I think those are the black packaged ones.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Used it this morning. I think it started to lather up before I even took my brush to it!

Tdmsu, theFAT98, BigCabDaddy and 2 others like this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

So I have this brand spanking new puck that I unwrapped and smushed the remnant from my last puck into and put the lid back on and stuck it in the closet. I started something new about a year ago, maybe a bit more, where I use a soap until it is gone and am currently working down a few pucks of VDH I melted together into a cappuccino mug.

This thread really has me rethinking that. I've been pining for the Tabac stowed away in my closet since page one of this thread.

You guys kill me.

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Tabac is calling for you! You cannot resist the sweet, spicy, powdery longing.

theFAT98, Jorvaljr and battle.munky like this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Tabac was released in 1959, it makes me think of the "Mad Men" era. Pretty much the same pic you get though, trains, hats, cabs and newsstands

And yes, that's right 1959.... That means that some of you guys reading this are OLDER than OLD MAN SMELL!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  13. Fossambault

Fossambault New Member

:happy069:Tabac is an excellent soap. It lathers to a slick and creamy substance and the scent takes me back to the black forests of Germany in the year of 1959.

Tdmsu and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

To each his own. Tabac is one of the very best shaving soaps I have used, and I have used some pretty good ones. It lathered very easily, and the lather was super slick and protective. The scent is powdery. I have read some folks calling it "old man smell", but I thought the scent was rather nice. A friend of mine, Classy Lady, said the soap smelled really good. If she says it smells good, then Tabac must have the scent thing down pat. The shaves with this soap were first-rate, so Tabac is two thumbs up for me. I used the soap cake, not the soap in the jar. I assume that the two soaps are the same.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And those of us the that resemble this remark; thank you for the reminder :taunt002:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  16. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I find tabac to be one of the slickest soaps made. The scent is not for everyone.

Tdmsu and BigCabDaddy like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just tried Tabac, and found it loads and makes lather, easily. The scent is pleasant, and reminds me of a milder version of HABANA cream.
    The lather is nice and slick, and a pleasure to shave with. I've used soaps that were very very expensive, and do not work as well as Tabac.
    It's a keeper.

18. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

As the OP, my participation in this discussion is ended. I traded my Tabac for a nice Parker OC and I'm glad I did. It just wasn't for me. Granted it made a nice lather and had the right amount of slickness, the smell just turned my stomach. I'm into wet shaving because I love the experience and there are too many soaps out there to use one I don't care for. This hobby is so very subjected to our own individual likes and dislikes that we will never all agree on everything. And that's ok. It makes for great discussions like this one. I appreciate all of the comments. Keep them coming.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I also don't mind the smell of Arko. But, dislike Williams a lot.

BigCabDaddy and battle.munky like this.
  20. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

I haven't yet tried Tabac; but I have heard good things about it and have been waiting to be able to get a jar. Hopefully I'll like it.

BigCabDaddy likes this.