First impressions from my first straight razor shave...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mr Two Bits, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Head shaving with a straight??!? Cojones, my friend... that takes cojones! I know a guy who shaves his head with one of those things that looks like a weird hot wheels car... I make fun of him...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Edison Carter, Keithmax and Herm2502 like this.
  2. Edward Brice

Edward Brice Active Member

Congratulations on your first shave, unfortunately from here onwards it is a slippery slope of razor buying, soap buying, brush buying, strop buying.... Ed.

Edison Carter and Mr Two Bits like this.
  3. Mr Two Bits

I hear you.. I did the same thing with fountain pens, wristwatches and several other interests... once you go down the rabbit hole there’s no end to it! There are certainly worse ways to spend money, and we can’t take it with us when we die so might as well enjoy it while we’re here... The good news for me is that because of my DE experience I already have several of the accouterments... except for sharpening/honing stones.... and away we go!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You will fit in perfectly here.

5. Keithmax

It seems there is some correlation here, I also have a few fountain pens and wrist watches to.

6. Mr Two Bits

I’m just glad I don’t have the money to get into the classic European sports car game... I could easily, EASILY blow through several million dollars in no time at all... and that would be before I got to the Ferraris and Mercedes 300sl roadsters of the world...

7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Me as well...

Edison Carter and Mr Two Bits like this.
  8. Mr Two Bits

So many great quotes and phrases from Johnny Dangerously... one of my favorite movies!

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Fortunately I lack the funds and I’m too tall for most sports cars. Plus there is no fun place to drive them here not to mention the import tax.

10. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I have a lot of wrist watches, my guilty pleasure car is an 1985 300 D. Now I have many straight razors that give me enjoyment on a daily basis, a better hobby than cars to me

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. Mr Two Bits

Certainly less expensive!!

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  13. Mr Two Bits

14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

"Remember kid, crime doesn't pay... well it pays a little!"

15. Mr Two Bits

Stropped up the Astrale for my second SR shave today. Much better result. I know it’s still going to take some time to find my groove but I’m still nick free and gaining confidence. Seems like half the battle is getting over the fear of slicing your face wide open but I feel that if you respect the razor it’ll do its part. This is SO much fun though! It makes you wonder why folks ever got away from SR shaving in the first place....

16. Mr Two Bits

Had my first “negative” experience last night... I stropped up the Astrale and either my technique was off or something because 12 hours later my face still feels like I rubbed Tobasco sauce on it...

I am not currently using any compounds on my strop. Do I need to?

I know this is a loaded question, but how often should I need to hone this razor, being a beginner? When touching up an edge, can I go straight (no pun intended...) to a 10/12k finisher or should I drop down to a 4/5k and work up to the finisher?

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

If it's been honed before and you had a shave ready edge, Billy's advice to me was you should be able to maintain it with a CrO pasted strop (green 0.5 micron) or a Naniwa 12k, or other similar device, about every 4 shaves or so. Just 8-10 laps on CrO paste or a few on the Naniwa.

Here's the thing with the 12k... Billy said to me "you can't really over hone on one". Just do it and keep trying it on your arm hair until it feels sharp. Of course I thought he was mad. But it's true - I did 20 odd laps on it last time. Made the edge significantly better.

I had all of my straight razors honed by him... I believe the last ones were January. They've all had a good few shaves on them but I just keep touching the edge up and they're plenty sharp enough.

Not as lovely and buttery smooth as an edge Billy would give it, or Glen I imagine if you're in the states, but pretty nice. Good enough.

18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

So in answer to a different part of your question, as long as you haven't ruined the edge that's on it the 12k (or even 10k) should bring it back to life.

If it's been rolled, dinged off a sink or while putting away, just over-used etc, it may need a rehone before any "touch up" work will help

19. Mr Two Bits

It’s in good shape (only used 3 times since I got it) so it should just need a touch up. I gotta get some CrO compound and a 12k stone though. I’ve got a few stones but the closest to a 12k I have on hand currently is a King 6k and I’ll be a pensioner by the time I could get an edge with that thing...

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Dansco like this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

You technically only need one or the other. Where Billy said you cant really over hone with a 12k, you can ruin an edge with pastes. 10 laps max.

Keithmax and Mr Two Bits like this.