First impressions from my first straight razor shave...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mr Two Bits, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

If a blade pulls a bit there are 2 solutions:
    1-learn to let the blade cut instead of just letting it scrape so you can shave with a soft shaving blade.
    Letting a blade cut takes a lot of confidence!

2- hone the blade untill it is as sharp and agressive as a DE blade and keep on scraping.

if you choose 1:
    -Leave your DE asside for 30 days, start with 1 pass and live with the result, after a few days, do the cheeks atg, and so on, in 30 shaves you will get the hang.
    - try not to rehone your blade in this 30 days, as long as the blade shaves armhair after stropping it is sharp enough to shave, if it pulls it tells you you are doing something wrong.
    adjust your angle, try guilotine strokes, scything movements, use a bit of pressure,...
    A blade that pulls a bit when scraping is a blade that is unlikely to cut you, and after a shave with such a blade you can pour colone on your face without a burning feeling.

- If you shave with the same setup over and over you will notice the effect of stropping,... if you change the set up you might thingk its the different soap, or.... so its difficult to learn.

If you really think your blade is blunt, first try shaving armhair, if it shaves armhair its you, if it doesnt shave armhair pass it a few times over a crox pasted strop. 8 passes on crox is a lot, and you should get at least 10 shaves without repassing it on the crox.

If you dropped the razor asj someone with natural stones to rehone.

After 30 days you will never touch a DE blade again

2. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Adjusting the angle has helped tremendously. Slowly but surely I’m getting into the groove and about the only time I pick up the DE is to clean up the upper lip at the corners. I’m just not ready to go atg on the upper lip....

3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I've never gone ATG on top lip, DE or straight. It's just a recipe for disaster. Too dense hair/coarse hair.

One WTG, two XTG, in opposite directions.

4. Mr Two Bits

XTG has been about as brave as I’m willing to get on the upper lip. I’ll get all kinds of freaky elsewhere though. If the angle/grip is right I can get really close and smooth shaves.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Paul76 like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Generally 2 Xtg passes on the upper lip is good enough, however I do a “fools pass” on occasion.

6. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Just keep doing what your comfortable doing. Soon you will have the confidence to go farther and it will start feeling more natural. One of the main reasons for learning to shave with either hand is being able to see what you are doing better and also ease of skin stretching. Good luck

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used to fear the 'fools pass' but so far my nose is still the original. Here is my 'fools pass' method:

Hold the blade with both hands, one on the tang and on one on the tip. Now the secret is to move your head only, do not move your hands. Trust me you will not go too far.

Paul76, SevenEighth, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr Two Bits

Went ahead and chased the baby tonight... found that sucker too!!

Edison Carter, mrchick and Paul76 like this.
  9. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Good job an your progress. Once the intimidation is lessened the shaves keep getting better.

10. Mr Two Bits

Thanks! It’s amazing how much better a straight razor can be if (IF!....) your prep, technique, concentration and execution are on point. It’s starting to come together for me but I’d say I got lucky last night more than anything. (On re-read, that last sentence could be misinterpreted....)

11. Mr Two Bits

A word to the wise (and the not so wise... like me...). Don’t accidentally snort sandlewood shaving cream up your snoot... 12 hours later my nose is still running!

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Paul76 like this.
  12. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning. I’ll heed the advice if I ever decide to get rid of the goatee.

13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I couldn't use TOBS Sandalwood. It set my face on FIRE

Edison Carter likes this.
  14. Mr Two Bits

I use Geo F Trumpers and love it. Until it gets in my sinuses, that is...

Paul76 likes this.
  15. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I choose to use a 1930's Schick E Type on the nostril area and lower lip where I have the result of a childhood injury. Since I prefer well set side burn edge, I also use the injector there as well.

I've noticed vintage barber tools consist of more than one tool. No need not to use what you have for the best result.

Mr Two Bits likes this.
  16. Mr Two Bits

True. I bought a birth year Gillette super speed about a year ago and when I’m pressed for time I’ll use it instead of the SR. I’ll also use it from time to time to “clean up” any spots that are beyond my emerging SR skills right now but the end game is to go to the Dovo full time.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Trust me a soap with menthol is even worse.

Edison Carter, Mr Two Bits and Spyder like this.