First (Novice) Use: The Winning Razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by TheBurgh, Mar 22, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

WARNING: The following observations and experiences are those of a novice safety razor user, returning to the art of safety razors from a 45 years interlude with a cartridge razor.

I am not new here. I already received my fair share of generous welcomes. It was you all who got me this far. Thank you!

This morning was tabbed for a first shave with The Winning Razor (WTR). As a beginner and new to this razor, I hadn't the slightest clue about blade matchups for this razor. I guessed that it, being categorized as a mild razor, might do best with a "sharper," highly-regarded blade. Ergo, Gillette Silver Blue GSB. Maybe, I think.

First few passes were very satisfying. The razor found its own angle quickly - I had to perform very few angle adjustments, even around my problem areas (chin, lips, base of nose). Good start. I seem to be very lucky at finding correct angles for a variety of razors, or there still is some ghost of experience from my young man-years. (I'm pretty sure I had some.) I'd rather be lucky than skillful. It happens more often. The angle held true for all maneuvers, all passes.

Absolutely no tugging or cutting feelings were observed throughout the two (2) pass + buff stages. I did notice what others have reported: There is a sucking, vacuuming, adhesive feel as the razor progresses along the skin. Almost certain it wasn't blade or bar drag. I was not bothered at all by this "slowing" or lack of glide. As a novice, it actually helps me to slow and shorten the strokes, especially with first-time razor and blade. I suspect (but do not know) that the effect is caused by the amount of contact between the metal surface of the razor face and the skin when held at a proper angle.

The GSB blade? Hell if I know. Been doing much practicing with SE razors so, with the exception of some Qshave blades (supplied with razor), I have no benchmark. I will say that I did achieve a DFS+ (always my goal), had only blemish weepers and had no irritation. The only important conclusion? The blade, razor and operator were in synchronicity.

Wow, this stuff is FUN!

2. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Great write up on your new Winning Razor. I think it is a great razor and have had excellent & irritation free shaves with many different blades that I have tried in it. Although this is your first shave with it, I'm glad to hear that you seem to like it so far. Even though it does have a different face feel when using it, I have not had any problems with drag or suction, but I did give it a thorough hand polishing with Flitz when I first got it. I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Enjoy!!!!

4. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Today had my third shave with the above combination The Winning Razor and GSB.

Second shave was smoother and more efficient than the first. I imagine (but am not sure) that it was a combination of my refining use of this wonderful instrument, slight improvement/adjustments in my techniques and second use of this (so far) satisfying blade. Felt no emerging stubble until 15 hours after shave. No irritation. Cooling sensation post-shave with witch hazel.

Third use today and DOUBLE WOW, this is as close to a BBS shave as I have ever achieved. Few weepers were skin blemishes (no use of styptic). Only subtle difference from last two shaves with the GSB was a slight audible sound of hairs being cut, and only on the second pass + buff. Again, no irritation. Now, 8 hours post shave and it still feels BBS.

Is The Winning Razor + GSB spoiling me away from further experimentation with razors and blades? I never thought that possible. I expect that feeling will wane. I do have a new Karve Overlander in the on-deck circle.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, @TheBurgh! It is very informative and well written, and should be especially helpful to other novice safety razor users.

I had never heard of The Winning Razor before. A stainless steel razor for only $60 sounds like a great deal.

Kilgore Trout and TheBurgh like this.
  6. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Just finished the fourth shave as my introduction to The Winning Razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade. This shave went less well than the prior three shaves.

After shave # 3, discovered that the grain of my neck beard below my left jaw/ear vicinity actually runs laterally across my neck (rather than up/down). So, attempted to remedy using a sideways pass against the grain. The blade just wasn't up to that task. In addition, the entire shave was less smooth, draggy in fact. Evening growth could be slightly detected.

For now, I'll assume that the blade has ended its useful life, not surprising given the course, dense nature of my old man beard. Out goes that blade, to be replaced by a fresh GSB. I'll stick to that blade brand for a month, hoping to draw some valid conclusions about its inclusion in TWR shaves.

And so it goes...

7. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I used to go with same blade up to 6 shaves (whole week for me) unless it pulled hair or gave me a rough shave. Now it is 3 shaves and done regardless how it feels on 3rd shave. Blades are cheap and not worth the irritation I can get if I push the blade too far.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

2 blades a week,52 weeks a year,average 100 pack of good blades $25 canadian..quite a good deal..;):eatdrink047:

Lancre likes this.
  9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That's for daily shaves. For those who only shave 3 times a week, you can halve that cost.

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

exactly..;):eatdrink047: