First shave with a straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DesertTime, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My Dovo arrived and I took it for a spin.

Some observations the experienced already know, but I want to lay out for noobs like myself. This is based on one shave, but there were some things that seemed immediately obvious.

1. Every step in the shaving process is MUCH more forgiving with a DE than a straight (part of the allure IMO).
    2. Lather -- do not rush this. Make sure you build a good, thick moist lather. See number one. I rushed it and could tell immediately I needed to back up.
    3. Angle. I found getting the perfect angle more crucial with a straight then with a DE (unless it's hyper-aggressive). I found when I got the angle too high, I didn't do much at all except pull a lot. See number one.
    4.Pay attention.
    5. being ambidextrous helps.

I normally use an EJ DE87 or a '48 SS with Derby blades and always get a very good shave and I'm not always totally focused. I can also easily get to every area of my face and neck. But then, I've been wet shaving a very long time. Straights really take you into the moment.

I took it easy and had a better-than-expected one pass shave. It was actually a better single pass shave over portions of my face than I usually get with one pass of my EJ. Other areas were tough. I have a cleft chin and that was very interesting (my only nick .. LOL). I spent most of the time just working out the angles and have a long ways to go before I get it fully figured out. I found switching to my left hand when on the left side of my face helped. Not sure if it's proper form. I need to re-watch some videos.

Overall, a very cool experience. I want to thank all the folks in this forum for their support getting me this far.

2. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Congrats on the first shave. :)

Perhaps I'm in the minority but when properly honed and handled, I find that a straight razor is much more forgiving than most safety razors. That's because I can tweak the straight's edge to my preferences. If it's rough, I might strop more or make a few passes on the chromium oxide. If it's not quite sharp enough, I can go back to the Nakayama or diamond paste/lapping film. Also, it's easier to adjust your angle with a straight razor since you see the edge on your skin. That's not always possible with the head of a safety razor in the way.

3. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

DesertTime.

As far as two handed shaving goes, it's perfectly fine. In fact I envy you - I just can't master shaving with my off hand and I'd love to.

Welcome to the Old School

goshawk

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW........ I have a deep respect for that :happy096

Until now I haven't got the guts to try the straight, but one day I definitely will :ashamed001

5. DesertTime

Actually, I'm far from mastering technique with my right hand. Using my left was a desperate act of survival. I was concerned I'd loose a lip, a nose or an ear reaching all the way around and unable to clearly see what I was doing.

The second shave went well, but I'm limiting how much I do. I'm starting to develop some "muscle memory" for manipulating the razor. I have to say, the responder above is dead on. The razor is light, nimble and very responsive. I can see where once good handling is learned, the straight will be a much more versatile shaver (as mentioned by TstebinsB).

I'm still finishing with my DE after one WTG pass and some practice with the Dovo. Tried some XTG and ATG work on cheeks and jawline (the easy parts). Went well.

Looked up diamond paste. Do you apply that to a special strop? So much to learn!

6. Wulfgar

Wulfgar New Member

yeah getting your skills up is the best thing keep practicing and be creative with your stokes i find it helps getting some tough spots...there is no right or wrong way it's what works for you!

Wulfgar

7. flylot

flylot New Member

Congrats! And welcome to the club. I'm on day four and enjoying the journey.

After I read and watched all the posts and videos, I plunged right in. I am starting to realize that the progress one makes becomes less quantifiable and definitive. It becomes varying shades of grey rather than black and white.

Therefore, any problems one encounters are perhaps often difficult to describe and the related solution difficult to define. As I said before, it's a dance.....

Good luck to you.

8. DesertTime

Thanks. I can see it's going to take a considerable amount of practice and trial-and-error to develop what works best for me. But that's the fun.

9. DesertTime

Thanks.

This group helps immensely.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Congrats! You have learned some lessons, and you are still going at it. Well done!

Weekend is coming up... I think I hear my straight razors calling.