First SR shave. Not happy.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jbraman, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jbraman

jbraman Member

So I found this "old school" barber shop that does SR shaves. I was extremely excited and couldn't wait to go get a shave. I walked in and was greeted by an overzealous shop owner (shop was approximately 7 feet wide) who claimed his shave guy (90 year old guy) was a "living legend" and he couldn't wait for me to get a feel of what his shaves were like. Boy was this an overstatement. The prep was good, I'll give them that. Hot towel (so hot made my eyes water), cream, etc. The razor felt like it was tugging the whole time. He would make a pass WTG on one side, then ATG on the other side. But the ATG was only in one little pass on my neck. He missed several spots around my mouth and ears, and cut me in 4 places. Totally disappointed, and I hope it's just the shop, and not the way SR shave should normally be. Was I expecting too much to want a DFS?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Shaves at barber shops are largely a waste of time now a days. They just don't do enough of them anymore to keep their touch.

3. jbraman

jbraman Member

That's what I'm thinking happened.

4. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

I kind of disagree, shaves at most local little barbershops may be that way, but if you want to go to a place like truefitt and hill in toronto or something like that and pay the 60 dollars, it is among one of the greatest shaves you can get, i am sorry to hear about that bad shave for ya though, but dont give up...there are still many master barbers out there who have some of the greatest razor skills on this planet

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I don't blame the "little" barber shops. Theres 2 here in Kingston that do DFS+ every time you sit down, I've never gone to the bigger name places and spent $60, but if I can support a small barber shop that loves what he does, I'll give him my money time and time again. I forgot the name of it here in Kingston but its a family business and his sons & daughters work there, all are outstanding with hair and shaving with a straight razor. It's easy to tell though that they are very interested in the family business - I love seeing that.

Asd likes this.
  6. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

I am mew member here but not to straights. I have had some great barber shop straight shaves. I have had one that sucked and it was obvious that barber wasn't that good at em. Both places I use to get straight shaves were old fashion barber shops. If you were in either on a Fri or Sat the straights were out as much as the scissors. I don't remember even being changed for it just tipping bigger for their extra time. The one place was known for a highntights with a str8. I started going for the highntights and fell in love with what a stra8 was capable of. Scares me when I hear what some places are charging. There are few articles about the top 10 places to get a shave. Along with places are starting to specialize in the old fashion barber experience or old fashion style shops that were a hidden gem have seen an increase in business.
    Unforuntaely, lots of us have stories about that bad shave too.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sorry it went so bad for you, but I really do not think that expecting a DFS shave is too much to ask for, I would look around for a different shop if there are any in your area.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

My guess is that straight razor shaves are going to fall into categories. Rural area barbershops and ethnic barbershops with older barbers might have quality straight razor shaving because they are traditional shops going back decades and maybe continuing a practice and also because older barbers were taught how to shave in barber college, in places like this you are going to get a good shave . The traditional barber shop has made a come back, therefore some of the younger barbers maybe shaving as a part of it but I do not know if they are as skilled at it as older barbers I don't think the practice, licensing requirements or modern barber colleges deal with shaving the face much at all. I have had conversations with some young barbers I have used and they can cut some hair but they regard straight shaving as something of the ancient past.

Places like Trumpers in London are obviously part of British barbering catering to an elite clientele so one would suppose shaving has to be done superlatively with highly trained barbers. My guess is that the high priced straight shave in America like at AOS or expensive Las Vegas Hotels etc. are more the creature of day spas. With their pampering and appeal to luxury they look like they were grooming industry spinoffs modeled on women's day spas catering to male clients.

9. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

jbraman, sorry to hear that, and no, IMHO you are not expecting too much to want a DFS in a barbershop.

10. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have only ever been in two barber shops which offered straight shaves.....and I am afraid that I have not availed myself of the services of either. The first was in my home town. The owner had decided to open a men only barber shop. The decor was as tradional as you would find. Apparently he had insisted in taking the straight shave course as part of his training, although with current H&S legislation I suspect that he was trained on shavettes only. I believe that the business has gained a reputation and is now quite successful. When I moved to Belfast....I found a little Barber shop which was owned by a young lady and her turkish partner. He gave a full Turkish shave for GBP15.00. A mate of mine came over for a regimental dinner and decided to try it out. I was amazed ......hot towels, shavette, and a shoulder massage.......all the trimmings. He was a confirmed Mach 3 user ...but said that the straight shave was the best he had ever had in his life. I think you shoild have expected a DFS......at least.

11. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I have been through the same. No one get shave my face as well as I can

12. Mackie

Mackie Member

I had a shave in a barber shop and it was very nice because of all the prep and such but the actual shave was nothing to write home about. I can do much better myself. However if I find another shop that shaves I would like to give it a try just for the fun of it. When I was a kid, I remember my grandfather had a scar on his neck from a barbers razor. The guy wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and cut him bad. He got free hair cuts for the rest of his life from this guy. The barber shop was in Murry City, Ohio.

13. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

You're not by yourself. When I began straight shaving I thought I'd get one from a "pro" and ask questions. Everything was nice and enjoyable, until I left the shop and felt my face. What are these whiskers doing here?

I really think it's more of a novelty. The guy who regularly cuts my hair stopped washing and styling hair, and stopped shaving customers because he could do better just cutting hair. He said that after the AIDS virus got all the attention, it just wasn't worth fooling with the new regulations in order to continue shaving customers.