First straight & restore

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by jason koonce, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Be very very careful with the Dremel. They can easily grab a blade, and cause a chip or crack. OMHO, stick with the sandpaper, and polishing cloth, on this blade. No need to risk it.

2. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Ok will do thank you for the heads up

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Also with a Dremel be careful with the heat as you can easily ruin the temper on the blade if you let it get too hot, so just take it easy its not a race.

4. jason koonce

Ok so tomorrow I will add more pics to update the progress haven’t really been able to work on it to much. Been going to a class for work all week. But I’ve gotten it somewhat cleaned up. I did not use a dremel and have just been doing it by hand every few seconds I could lol. Been watching YouTube videos on honing and will probably give it a shot. I watched some on removing the frown and setting the bevel and I think I can do it. If not I’ll talk my grandfather into showing me lol. I just need to get ahold of a 1k stone to start

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  5. jason koonce

I did find a stone at my dads house that sadly is only labeled course and fine. Are they any particular normal grit range or can it vary by brand

6. DaltonGang

Buy one, that you know will work. Problem solved.

TestDepth likes this.
  7. jason koonce

So finally able to get some more pictures and progress. Still notices some pitting so no mirror shine yet lol. but I was able to get rid of the frown EB78CDB1-9A5B-4A64-B04A-D427296759E8.jpeg B5DDC398-3DD8-4CB9-AEEE-5E12EF814487.jpeg E5EA091C-0FF5-4492-8800-D6252CD379E6.jpeg 0CF6F51A-E297-4760-A1BA-21EE77EFC420.jpeg B97B01A8-711B-4CF1-81D1-9981D4373B9C.jpeg 16252865-486C-4968-97EB-42EDDCE86767.jpeg 04C2D338-1FA5-45CB-BA1C-2D2DA129B1E6.jpeg .

TestDepth, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Sometimes the pitting is just too deep to fully remove. I have many razors like that, and one might be a Dubl Duck. So, my advice is to just use wet/dry sandpaper from 400-1500 grit, lubed with oil. Don't spend too much time with the shine. It only will take a few minutes with each grit. Just concentrate on removing any scratches, left by the previous grit. . The sandpaper with leave a slight frosted look to the metal, and lessen the look of the pitting.

9. DaltonGang

Btw, I would soak the scales in warm water, with a healthy dose of Palmolive/Dawn. This should remove a good amount of dark gunk in the transparent scales. Also, use a soft toothbrush and whatever paper towel you can squeeze between the scales to scrape some gunk. Don't use tools or sandpaper, inside the scales.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. jason koonce

Awesome I will do that to get it clean in between the scale thank you. After that I think it’s just getting ahold of stones and strop

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Clue me in here, Scott. This is the first I’ve heard of this. Of course there’s not that much out there on proper scale restoration that I’ve been able to find.

12. DaltonGang

Oops, it should read tools, not tos.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

No, specifically the sandpaper.

14. jason koonce

15. DaltonGang

Looks good. The scales cleaned up nicely. :happy088::happy088:

TestDepth and jason koonce like this.