First Straight Shave

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Corey, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Corey

Corey Member

Tonight I had my first shave with a straight razor (Zaliel Jassiano 5/8). I've been reading up on everything and watching the multiple youtube videos available, but was slightly apprehensive about it. There seemed to be a growing amount of first straight shave posts that were filled with dejection and disappointment, and of course I was worried about slicing my face up.

That said, it was a really excellent shave. No, it wasn't BBS, and there were a few small patches of hair here and there that I didn't get. And yes, there was a little bit of razor burn, but I believe it was from me trying to get a little fancy around two pimples that I didn't want to decapitate. But otherwise, it was very nice. There was a very natural feel to it that I was completely not expecting. There's still a good amount of work to be done on my technique, but it was far from the blood and burn that I was almost expecting. I look forward to giving my Clauberg Brothers 11/16 a go in about two days. What I'm not looking forward to is feeding this new AD.

2. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Jeez Corey, not even a full month with DE's and already you're moving on.
    I've been looking at them myself... but luckily I'm not quite there yet. :D

Seriously though, glad you had a non-scarring first experience with it.

3. Corey

Corey Member

The Zaliel was too good to pass up. And then I couldn't just let it sit there and not use it. :D Same with the Clauberg. The price was right and it's a beautiful piece to behold.

Then there's this weekend's eBay acquisitions: a Boker, a J.A. Henkels, and lot containing three no names with two strops (leather and canvas). The no names will be put aside to practice honing on. Didn't pay more than 25 for any of them.

4. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Wait.. you won those auctions?! Oh.. I mean... :o
    I was probably watching a couple of those. ;)

5. currentman

currentman New Member

Congrats on your first straight shave!!!

as you progress you will find it get easier, and your results drastically improve

pay attn to the angle, do proper stretching, and you'll be amazed at how much you enjoy it:D

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Congrats on your first straight shave. It only gets better from there. Im still refining my technique after 1 year of exclusive straight shaving. Glad to have you with us :)

7. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Congratulations!

I think one of the most important things when attempting your first shave with a straight is to have realistic expectations. Generally you won't get BBS, it will pull slightly here and there, you might get some razor burn and perhaps a nick or two. You might also feel as though your face has been peeled slightly.

All these things are normal, and as time progresses so too will your shaves. Sounds like you have a great attitude toward it. Nice one!

James.

8. Corey

Corey Member

Thanks everyone! I thought it was a great shave. It wasn't perfect, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and all the blood stayed in my body. That's a rousing success in my book. I put cortizone cream on the razor burn stuff and it's been smooth sailing since. I'm giving my face a break today (normally shave every day with a DE) to recover, then I'm going to give it another go.