first

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by redorchestra, Oct 16, 2007.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I am thinking about buying a straight. Just a used razor, and I was thinking from Ebay. I am in South Korea so it must ship worldwide. If anyone sees a good quality beginner blade for a decent price, please let me know.

ps. I am willing to buy a hone and a strop, and I consider myself pretty handy.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

As you may know.......the only problem with ebay is that alot of their stuff is hit or miss. Be careful when shopping.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Don't be afraid to ask sellers questions or to ask for more pictures, just do it early so they have time to respond. Most are willing to work with you.

4. JMS

JMS New Member

If you can, get two razors and have one honed by someone who knows what they are doing so that you have a bench mark! I've heard several beginners say after trying to hone a razor,"I can sharpen any knife you give me, so why cant I get my straight shave ready?"

5. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I've never sharpened a knife.. I don't claim I can do it. I just said I am handy. And Yes by saying handy I just might send it off to a professional.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I would suggest buying a shave ready razor from someone that knows what they are doing. This way you concentrate on learning the skill and not have to worry about honing. If you see something you like on Ebay post a link and we can advise you on your choice. There are several questions that you should ask for example: are there any chips or cracks on the blade or on the edge. Are the scales warped, cracked or chipped? Oh yeah stay away from Pakistani blades or Zeepk these are cheap and they are absolute rubbish. Never pay more than 5 or 6 bucks for shipping. If the photo is fuzzy or out of focus go on to the next one. Mint means brand new not used for several years then put away until now. Ask us before you drop money on it. We are glad to help.

Dont forget a starter strop. but that is another 20bucks:D

Raf

7. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

8. JMS

JMS New Member

There are a few chips on the edge. It'll take a bit of honing to get those out but all in all its a beautiful blade!

9. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Thanks JMS, I thought so too. But I thought it could be just because it's mine.

I didn't see the chips in the blade. I'll call the seller on it when I get the razor. The description says like new condition. He also says the scales are like new and doesn't mention one is broken off at the rivet. I'll direct him to the Minty page if I can find it again.

10. JMS

JMS New Member

The chips are towards the toe of the razor.
    I cant believe I missed the broken scale!

11. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Yeah he cropped it out of the blade close-up photo.

Well, this blade might be honing practice.

Can I hone the chips out without worrying about developing fin and getting a wire edge?

12. JMS

JMS New Member

As for a strop, you might want to PM Tony Miller, or better yet, visit his website,"thewellshavedgenleman.com". He makes extraordinary strops and he sells practice strops cheap, which are also first rate strops without the trimmings!

13. bg42

bg42 New Member

Those razors are very very good ,get someone to hone it as it has some nicks near the toe once that is taken care of you will have an exellent razor ,if you are in the market for a strop and you will be, buy a good one ,however not yet, buy the widest leather belt you can from a $2 shop they are just as good if not better than the cheep ones getting around and use it to practice on,you don`t want to cut up an expensive one .Once you are proficient at stropping then lash out
    best of luck
    Kind regards Peter

14. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Thanks for the kind words about my purchase, BG42. Yes I think I will get a professional to hone it. I didn't realize how expensive a hone was. I might think about it later if I enjoy the experience of SER shaving, but I would rather pay a pro now than drop bucks for a hone and for shipping to S.K.

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Joe,

Altima55 on ebay offers some nice shave ready / near shave ready straights and that may be an option for you :)

+ another for a strop from Tony, he has the practice strops available with his heirlooms for $5, great deal. If you get a shave ready razor one of Tony's 4 -sided pasted paddle strops would keep your edge in good shape for a long time.

I am not sure on the international shipping, but you can contact them :cool:

16. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Yep, as has been said, you should get a properly honed razor so you have a standard to shoot for as you practice your skills. Be careful buying on ebay. I learned the hard way that things are not always what they seem. You really have to know what you are looking for. Even then, pictures can be deceptive - on purpose or otherswise. Have fun and enjoy the process of learning with the straight. Good Luck :D

Jordan

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

18. JMS

JMS New Member

Never do ebay while drinking!:rofl
    At least two of those look pretty good and TommyRazor usually sells great stuff!

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

You did well. I have bought three from him and have been very satisfied. Two big 7/8 (W&B and Frederick Reynolds) and a 6/8 Crown & Sword. He is a top-notch seller!

20. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I recieved my first straight in the mail. Pretty exciting to open it up. The chip doesn't look bad in real life. It is not really a chip in the blade. It may have been a chip at one time, or it may just be bad honing. The scales are still broken though.
    I'll have to go back and search tommy razor stuff again, and check out altima55.

I wish I was back in NorthAmerica so I could go to the Antique shop and find some for myself.