Flipping the blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Jul 27, 2021.

1. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

I palm strop each new blade out of habit (read that OCD). For the last few months, most of the time the blade is used once and then binned. Life’s too short to use a dull blade. I should add that to my sig line. Edit: done ✅

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Works great for a shake sharp razor and a carbon blade.
    kamisori style razors technically are, since they were designed to be used one handed (same hand) across the whole face.

Dave in KY likes this.
  3. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Good point, though I can imagine buffing affords a bit of stropping action. But it isn't the wrong direction when using a sharpening/honing steel on a knife. Hmm, does this give a whole new meaning to a steely complexion?

Ijustmissedthe50s and Dave in KY like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In my world, blades are cheap, and I have a lifetime supply.

I leave the blade in the razor, usually for three shaves, and then I replace it. In my experience, handling the blade less reduces the chances of accidentally getting cut.

And it allows me to avoid uncomfortable conversations...

ER Doctor, "Son, that finger looks pretty bad. How did you slice it?"

Me, "Doc, I was wiping my razor blade on my jeans, and it just slipped outta my hand."

ER Doctor, "Nurse, can you please contact psychiatry?"

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been hand-stropping my DE and SE every day for the last 11-12 years and I've never cut myself.

(Be watching tomorrow's news. I'll be the headline as guy who cut off his finger.)

6. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

News interviewing the neighbor. " He's done this for 11 years and never had any trouble before this. " :happy102:

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The difference this time? He began stropping with: y'all ain't never going to believe this. Hold my beer.

:eek:

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Remember, it only counts if the interviewee is standing in the middle of the street, has curlers and is wearing a full-length nightgown. :eek:

But as always... "It's your lounging wear. Enjoy it your way." :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  9. richgem

Double bonus points if she's named Gladys Kravitz.

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Or in the case it is here in Mississippi, wearing a Harley-Davidson t-shirt and jorts, standing next to a vehicle up on blocks and forgot to put in the dentures for the interview.
    :D

11. richgem

With a Colt 45 in one hand? The drink not the weapon. Or maybe both.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The particular Mississippi species I outlined, would be holding a Budweiser or Miller Light shoved into a "Don't Tread On My Beer Or My Deer!" coozie.
    :rofl:

13. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I used a Blue Bird Platinum blade this morning.
    But I didn't dare to flip it over.
    "Flipping the bird" is naughty, you see...
    - Bax

14. richgem

[​IMG]

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I doubt it would make any difference for me, as I shave my legs & underarms. That's a lot of real estate, so no matter what, I won't use a blade for more than 2 shaves.

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Perhaps apropos regarding a blade getting sharper. I recently stumbled across a bar graph that showed the sharpness of various blades. I recorded data for initial sharpness, after 1 and 2 shaves and average. Of ddly enough some of the data indicated blades getting sharper with use! How does that work? What I wouldn't give to have that be he case for my kitchen knives! I tried to find that graph again but couldn't for the life of me. Perhaps others know of this? I did however dig up this blog: https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-testing/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Hmm.......

Lots of real estate......

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I would ALMOST rubber-stamp this comment, although I'd say "The only flipping I do is flipping a shave-item I don't like or is almost finished into the trash bank".

19. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

The idea is to make the edge last longer by flipping it after every shave,
    not to fix a worn out edge.

20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I tried it a couple of times, but it did not seem to make the blade last any longer or improve the shaves. It's like stropping the blade on the inside of a drinking glass - worth trying once or twice just to see if it actually works. If it doesn't, there is very little time or effort lost. Your mileage may vary, so what works for one person might not work for another.