Folding@Home

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 29, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    JRod22's computer finished a huge workunit and pushed him to the top of our leaderboard! Glad you could join us. Our Team rank should settle down soon, but right now we are 49285 of 217086.

JRod22 likes this.
  2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

How do I increase my workunits ? It seems I work on very small units.

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Configure You might find this helpful. My understanding is that the workunit assigned is based on priority and the capability of the computer F@H is installed on. You may also need to switch from UNI to SMP. Take a look at the FAQ link I posted, and see if that answers your questions.
    For myself, I wish I had your problem. Even my netbook gets assigned week long tasks, and I'm always worried the deadline will end before my computer gets the workload finished. Remember, it's not the size of the workunit, it's the fact that you are even helping at all that is important. I'd also like to point out that Jrod and Norseman are running Folding on two computers while you and I are running it on one each.

4. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I just was lucky enough to become the owner of a free computer that is quite a workhorse. Mine as well put it to good use.

5. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Thanks ! The client was running only on one cpu from the total of 8. I changed that, I hope to see results over the weekend.

6. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

For the record, one of these two computers is my laptop. And although it has a decent spec, the fan was making so much noise that I had to shut down all my "folding".
    I am therefore reduced to only use my home server :(

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Under advanced options, you can adjust how much of the CPU your computer uses for folding. Default option is 100%. I used the slider to bring it down to 40 or 50% I didn't want my netbook melting into a puddle.

8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Just joined. I leave my computer on during the day when I'm at work, so it should have time to use it then. It looks like I'll have to pause it when I'm using the computer, it really seems to slow the browser.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Norseman

I know, it did not have any effect. And even after I turned it off, my fan was going ballistic.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Any time you make changes, you must quit F@H and restart it for the changes to take effect. Is that what you meant by turning it off?

11. Norseman

No I turned off the client on my laptop. I did try to restart the program after making changes, but to no avail.
    I think. Perhaps I should give it another go :)

12. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

hmm i will install later today to help...i wonder if i do it at work will they care lol...since i use the computer during downtime to do research if they would mind

13. Erik Redd

It's really easy to do. I pause it when I'm using the computer, then unpause it when I'm finished. I leave my computer on anyway, since I think it's worse to turn it off and on frequently (due to thermal cycling) than just leaving it on. Since it doesn't use the graphic card much, I figure it's only burning about 200 watts. At about 11 cents a kilowatt hour, that works out to about 2.2 cents an hour in electric costs. Besides, it helps heat the house :Animatedfrozensmily:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. Norseman

Master Redd, I have to ask.
    What kind of monster machine are you using for this? Your score is really impressive :)

15. Erik Redd

I just have an Intel I3 processor and 8 GB of RAM. I just leave my computer on instead of turning it off and on. I pause Folding@Home when I want to use my computer, otherwise it's at 100% CPU usage. It's a desktop I built from components using http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pcs-v3-6/ as a reference, mainly to play Skyrim on. But now I'm kinda bored with computer games, so I don't play a lot. I'll get back into gaming when another great game comes along. Diablo II was my favorite, but Diablo III was a disappointment.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got bored of D3. Think I'll be picking up X-COM soon. Have heard good things about it.

17. Norseman

Fascinating.
    I use a server with 2 x Intel Xeon Quad Core 2 Ghz and 8 gb of memory.
    This is a server I use for virtualization and various streaming servers. But these services are mostly dormant and I am "folding space" like a guild navigator high on spice.
    Except for the last 24 hours. I forgot to turn it on after ripping a few DVD's :(

PLANofMAN and Erik Redd like this.
  18. Erik Redd

I liked the reference to guild navigator high on spice, it's been a long time since I read Dune.

Norseman likes this.
  19. Suisse

Suisse Active Member

I was very active for WCG back in my college days crunching with a desktop. Times have changed now :)
    Will be contributing little by little, can't match you guys on the numbers :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to the team!