Fooling Around With Menthol Crystals

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Lyndon, Dec 22, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think you might have dethroned him.

Lyndon likes this.
  2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Thanks Lyndon.. I am going to try with a sample.. I am not good with measurements and being able to transfer the ratios back to the larger bottle after success or failure with the sample..that will be the challenge..

Lyndon likes this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Sounds like we're going to have a competition :duel:

Lyndon likes this.
  4. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Well Erik, I would never enter into a competition if I was seriously out gunned. I have the utmost respect for Jeff. His knowledge of all things menthol is probably one of the greatest in the entire wet shaving community. He has an awesome collection of soaps, creams, balms and aftershaves. Not only is he a kind and generous gentleman, but he also speaks about 17 languages!!

I can manage English and French. Although, I am learning a bit of Thai.

สวัสดีครับ, ลินดอน
    (Good day, Lyndon)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

UPDATE ON THE WITCH HAZEL

I have now tried the "Psycho Chiller" witch hazel a couple of times and I should report that it contains too much menthol! Unlike the menthol enhanced Nivea ASB, the menthol hit delivered in witch hazel is instant and intense! I will have to transfer the contents of the little spray bottle into a larger bottle and add more witch hazel. I will do this when I get back to Hong Kong and have some time off. I will let you all know how it goes.

Stay tuned for the most difficult menthol trick of all. I am thinking of converting my Arko shave stick into a "croap" (cream / soap). I will try to add menthol to the soap during the conversion process. I don't know if it will work well, but I think the menthol would help improve the scent of the Arko shave stick. Let's see.

Stay cool! Lyndon

Boojum1 and Azarius like this.
  6. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Good luck in making the Arko into a croap, it is actually pretty simple...and it should be a huge improvement, as the menthol should kill that urinal puck smell ;)

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

This thread has got me cracking up. I was just in the cold and my face was hurting from it. I read this and ur talking about freezing ur face with menthol. Does the menthol help at all with razor burn? Not that I've had any after making the switch. I don't see why anyone would freeze their face for no reason, if there is no reason...

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I had the same experience with spiking the Witch Hazel.. similar amounts of menthol added to the AS balm or a splash resulted in a comfortable cooling breeze.. in the Witch Hazel it was.. BBRRRRRRRR!

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I'm so glad I found this thread. I just received my purchase of Menthol Crystals from the Shave Den today. Unsure of how much menthol to use in my Witch Hazel I decided to search the Den and found this thread. After reading the posts, I started to add tiny amounts of Menthol to about 10 oz. of generic witch hazel, testing it on my face. Thanks guys, your exploits helped a great deal. Now I have Mentholated Witch Hazel. It's just the right amount of :signs021:.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 and Bristle Me like this.
  10. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

You've got the right idea. A little bit at a time and then test.

The first bottle of witch hazel I did, I added a few crystals and ran it under hot water to dissolve them. Tested it out, and it was fine. But then I noticed over the next few days that it seemed to be recrystalizing. I also noticed that the crystals I put in some of my AS splashes didn't recrystalize. I assumed this had to do with the fact that the alcohol content of my splashes is much higher than that of witch hazel. So the next time I bought a fresh bottle of WH, I dissolved the menthol crystals in a very small amount of 91% isopropyl alcohol, and then added that to the WH. So far it hasn't recrystalized, and the small amount of added alcohol hasn't changed the performance of the WH at all.

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Whenever I think about menthol crystals and the DIY movement...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410036750.320420.jpg

12. defectivechimp

defectivechimp Well-Known Member

i like menthol but have been to afraid to experiment with it seeing as its so expensive

13. Boojum1

Menthol crystals in The Shave Den Shop are inexpensive. A small amount goes a long way.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Where are you buying menthol crystals from? It's pretty cheap. And goes a long long way.

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

Last week I took two Arko sticks and mashed them into a container, poked holes using a tooth pick in the Arko, and squeezed about twenty drops of M-Bomb on it. :Animatedfrozensmily:

Boojum1 likes this.
  16. Boojum1

Have you used it yet?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

INTERESTING!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

Yes. It was very cold, I used it right after I did it, so the M-Bomb was still on top. I'm going to revisit it this week. Arko is a white soap, after I applied the M-Bomb it turned yellowish.

19. Boojum1

I'm really enjoying the Witch Hazel with added menthol. It adds a coolness to the witch hazel's soothing feeling on the skin.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

I always drop some crystals into my aftershaves. Even those that are mentholated.

figment714 likes this.