For the Williams users

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by HoosierTrooper, Dec 26, 2011.

1. azshaver

azshaver Member

I'm gonna clean out a store tomorrow!
    Thanks for the heads up.

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

You're welcome, and clean em out!

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

When I was playing with Williams 3 things seem to help, milling it and soaking it in hot water that seemed to help it lather up . The other thing I kinda liked I learned from an old timer on another forum who had funny stuff to say about the prices of premium soaps. He would put a Williams puck in a mug then pour a melted VDH puck over it. He would then shave the top of the puck down so that each puck made one even surface and your brush would hit each soap simultaneously. I tried this and it made a pretty nice soap. Also I would just put Ingrams shave cream on top of the Williams puck and lather , the scents were complimentary.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think Bob did something similar - grate up a puck of Williams, melt down a puck of VDH, then stir the grated Williams into the melted VDH.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Yep, and I think he calls it Van Der Williams, or something like that.

6. HoosierTrooper

Adding stuff to Williams is wrong, just flat wrong...

Latherman87 and Dewaine like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Is that the secret to getting it to lather? Don't add water?

:rofl:

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

I shoulda been more pacific. Adding anything besides water to Williams is wrong.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What about air?

:scared007:

10. HoosierTrooper

The following is a full and comprehensive list of approved items that any true fan will allow to be placed in his/her beloved Williams:

1. Water
    2. Air
    3. Brush

Any other shaving soap or cream, or any substance that represents itself as a shaving soap or cream, or any other substace that is even remotely related to, or believed to be related to shaving, such as glycerin, cologne, aftershave, perfume etc is strictly forbidden.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I get a pretty good lather from the current Williams and I agree with you Jeff that the amount of water used is critical. I agree with you even more that a boar brush handles the Williams much better than a badger. I let my brush soak and then give it three or four hard shakes. After a few dozen aggressive swirls on the puck I get to work on my face and easily work up plenty of good lather. Not as rich as most other soap but still provides a helluva shave.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

I have a hard time with new Williams, it's always too foamy and thin for my liking... ????? To make it work I add a healthy dose of glycerin and some times a squirt of cheap Arko cream... I'm still a Newb as I just can't get great lather from Williams.. It's one of the soaps that has beat me. And I got 10 pucks in the DEN !

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

It doesn't work for everyone. Don't feel that you have to hold on to those 10 pucks- there are Williams fans on TSD who will trade or buy your stock.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Having not been rich enough to buy the vintage williams, I have to say that once I got the hang of lathering the new stock - it actually provides a good shave. I find that boar brushes work best though with it - I have no idea why but I can get a perfect lather quickly with my Semogues. Using a badger, it's more of a play around to get it just right.

GeneRector likes this.
  15. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! Yes, the new Williams formulation takes some brushing, but for me it seems to work well. I get a great lather; however, this is the only soap I have tried so far. I have a few of others waiting their turn. Always, Gene

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One thing that may help is simply letting the soap set in a small amount of water overnight. When you shave in the morning, the puck is more pliant and provides more product to start with. That can help to provide a better soap to water mix.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One thing I use my current Williams for is brush break in. I have several pucks on hand so I don't have to worry about using a more expensive soap breaking in the brush against my forearms daily for about 2 weeks to get a brush prepared for shaving.

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My answer to these soap problems is copied from a fellow shaver on this site. My newly acquired Suribachi !! Find that all*of my soaps and creams work better with this bowl! I rub the round or stick around the sides and bottom. This Keeps the soap dry and your able to store it in its original containers. And
    by increasing the the surface area of the soap to brush ratio it really improves your ability to make leather.

* still can't make Neutrogena lather.

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I heard a rumor (tongue in cheek...) that there is a world-wide shortage of urinal cakes and citronella candles, so the Williams company is repackaging these to sell for that purpose. Since they won't be available anymore Krogers is clearing them out... :happy097: :happy102: :rofl:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. HoosierTrooper

If it doesn't work for you as a shave soap it can be used as a shower or hand soap, might as well use it up. As johnus said the Suribachi is an amazing bowl. I had sstarted getting onto face lathering a little more until I started using it but now I've gone to the Suribachi full time.