For you Old Spice fans ...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DavidSeattleWA, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Johnmw1

Johnmw1 New Member

As much as I would dearly love to jump in on this also, regrettably there are a couple of things holding me back.

#1 The wife, she says Old Spice has the same effect that Tabac has, it has that old man smell to it.

#2 The shipping price for the small A/S and Cologne at $26 and $30 for the larger single bottle of A/S. :(

How do some people get away with posting A/S through the postal system and then others who cannot. I recently had a parcel sitting at a US post office for a month because it had some sample A/S in the package, and they refused to ship it until it was removed. Unfortunately they also failed to advise anyone about the refusal until we tracked the package to find that they still had it.

Cheers
    John

2. Zachster

Zachster Member

I note that the seller also has available a variety of bedpans and portable toilets for the old and infirm. Coincidence? I don't think so... :D

3. Zachster

Zachster Member

I recently received a bottle of the old stuff from another ebay seller -- a massive 8.5 ouncer -- and there is a subtle difference. I have the new stuff on hand, so I had a basis for comparison. Sniffing it out of the bottle, it seems the same. On the skin, however, two differences: 1) the old stuff definitely stings more; 2) it has more of an underlying citrus note -- sharper than the new stuff. Given that it is probably at least 12 or 13 years old, I'm guessing it has lost some of its strength/stability.

In all, while I am enjoying this old bottle, I will continue to use the new stuff since the difference is subtle, and it is readily available and I don't have to pay for shipping. I must say, while I have been annoyed at the labeling changes over the past few years (I hate the smaller ship and the more "modern" look of the logo), I hadn't realized how much smaller the large bottle had gotten -- definitely less bang for the buck nowadays.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

wow, I have trouble telling the difference between the old, and the newer kinds. In fact, to be honest, I'd never know the difference. :confused:

5. minderasr

minderasr Member

Just how new is the new version? The bottle I purchased at my local CVS Pharmacy came in a box that definitely looked like the original OS I remember wearing as a kid.

6. Zachster

Zachster Member

The box looks somewhat similar to the old -- the bottle has a much smaller style of sailing ship, and the logo is small and modern. In the following pic, from left to right, you have the old (pure Shulton) with its box; next is the bottle that prevailed form the early '90s until very recently (P&G, made in Cincinnati -- I bought this bottle maybe 2 years ago, and kept it when I was horrified by the look of the next bottle), and finally the most recent with its box. I only really noticed any change (just seemed plain weaker) when I fist bought the newest style bottle, maybe a year and a half ago. At the time, I also noticed that it is now made in Toronto, and the bottle is multilingual. I blame Canada!

[​IMG]

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

My pop loves the soap, nothing he can do about getting the soap anymore. Mama Bear makes a knock off but charges too much for shipping. :sad038

8. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Do you mean it’s not economical to order 1 or 2 products with shipping or do you think MB charges unreasonable shipping rates?

I don't think her rates are out of line with the norm.

Jordan

9. minderasr

minderasr Member

I used my Old Spice after this morning's shave, and realized it said "original" on the bottle. So I assume this is not what I remember wearing as a kid, 30 some-odd years ago. Oh well, live and learn. I still like the scent though!

Thanks Zach.

:cool:

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The original is still made, but unfortunately it seems to only be packaged in a red plastic bottle. We'll be carrying it some point in the future, but honestly this seller on ebay has it for a stellar price.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

It is different

Got my bottle of aftershave and cologne/aftershave gift set.

Gift set is a collector's item......plastic bottles about the size of a shot glass and definite scent degradation.

The large aftershave bottle, OTOH........Is superb :happy088

My bottle/box says 1983 (not 1988 like Dave's). Made by Shulton

Out of the bottle, it smells noticeably different to me: stronger, spicier, and muskier.

The initial "splash-on" is much like what you get with today's Old Spice - the citrus and 'aldehyde' notes. But, the drydown is where the old stuff really shines.

Drydown:
    1) Less citrus
    2) More musk
    3) More vanilla (tonka bean?)
    4) No better way to say it: more 'spice'

This stuff is very smooth, I definitely like it more than the new stuff.....and if I used Old Spice everyday and/or didn't already have 100 bottles of other aftershaves, I would most likely pick up a dozen more of these old-stock bottles :D

And, I like the looks of the bottle much more than the newer style ;)

12. Nice, Joe! Glad to hear it showed up. I agree, the after shave is awesome. I had zero scent degradation too ... smells fantastic. Too bad the plastic travel bottle didn't survive the years. I feel that the aftershave has a strong enough kick that you could get away with using it as a cologne if you wanted to (which is why I don't feel any inclination to buy the cologne strength Old Spice - the aftershave is perfect for me).

Enjoy!

13. Cool ad .......... she's not too bad either :D

I wish I could get my hands on some of this .... Old Spice Burley - circa late 60's. This stuff is extremely scarce ... just as bad (probably worse) as trying to track down some Old Spice Fresh Lime. Plenty of the original formula still to be had but these Old Spice "varietals" are really hard to come by.

Attached Files:

Blangaz1 likes this.
  14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I "found" a bottle of Old Spice cologne in my closet.

On the back of the bottle:

1993 Shultons Inc. :D

Put this on one wrist, the new stuff on the other wrist. HUGE difference. Man what a shame they messed with the formula. :mad:

15. Will

Will Nevermind

You just found it?

Sounds like Treasure hunt at TJ's

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:rofl Yeah, I did. I found it while digging around for empty boxes.

I also found a tube of Kriudvat Shave cream, an extra Erasmic shave cream, and a couple bottles of witch hazel::

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't tell the little woman, she will start hiding your suff in things that need cleaned out.

18. My Grandfather has just given me a bag of old aftershaves & talcs. I don't know whether I can sell them, but I'll put them on ebay & see If they go.
    Some of this stuff must be 20 years old!
    [​IMG]

In the bag:

Old Spice gift set - After shave lotion & talc
    Hai Karate after shave lotion
    Avon for men mini after shave gift set
    Havana with Tabac absolute - After shave & talc
    Marks & Spencer Burgundy - After shave splash & balm
    No 4433 Blue Stratos - After shave lotion & talc
    St Michael Birchwood Lemon Balm - after shave balm

More talc's

Casablanca
    Goya - Cedarwood