Forum Attitudes

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by TheCopperHat, Feb 4, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

:happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy096

2. aberneth

aberneth Member

I still say that the Dirty Joke section is a major contributor to the climate on TSD. A lot of the other wetshaving boards take themselves too seriously. Here, we can always count on Lee or Jeff for some comic relief.

The populace that a wetshaving board caters to is a typically well mannered group of mostly mature adults. If a board of wetshavers takes the "gentlemanly behavior" too seriously, it starts seeming a bit snobbish. That isn't an issue here.

Moreover, the financial means of a forum plays a huge role in the atmosphere of the board. Contributorships and payed subscriptions inevitably create a class division, which consequently leads to administrative favoritism. Sites that rely on ads and payed content tend to have a zero-tolerance policy, which reads as "We have the right to refuse service to anyone." While any forum does have that prerogative, it's less appealing to walk in the front door and see those signs everywhere. Since this site is funded entirely by proceeds from a product marketplace, neither of these are an issue as the flagships products are custom and unique to the site.

Another factor, as I see it, is that post count is more or less irrelevant here. I joined with 6 months of wetshaving under my belt, and and a single digit post count didn't really seem to have any affect on the way I was treated or received. There is no rush to boost one's post count, and so fewer BS posts result. The board keeps itself squeaky clean.

The last point I'd like to make is that the staff of this forum is very well integrated in to the community. If they have a reason to break out the moderator whip, they do so discreetly.

I've been on both ends of a forum many times, participating in a wide variety of discussion forums, and moderating or administrating forums of all sizes. The atmosphere here at TSD is unmatched, thanks to the generosity of our benefactor and the wisdom of our stalwart management team.

Just my two cents :o

3. sffone

sffone Member

No doubt about it -- this is a great place to be!

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I agree with that . Even before being a member here I was impressed with the fairness of the mods on TSD, they seem to actively moderate discussions without taking sides based in personal bias. Thats sorely lacking in some of the online forums I've been a part of.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I had to try :D

6. My sentiments exactly.

...or in a Gilligan's Island sort of way, I equate TSD to The skipper (with a little Mary Ann, Ginger, and the professor thrown in) and "that other board" with Thurston Howell.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm a bit of an oddball. This is really only my second forum.

I've signed up for a few, but believe it or not I can be actually pretty darn shy around people I don't know or in unfamiliar settings, and so those other forums have gotten maybe 1 post out of me. And therefore, very little of my reading time, too.

And with all the knowledgeable people around here, I know most of my questions can be answered at home. Google can be pretty much cover any other questions I may have.

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I'm not active on many forums anymore, shaving or otherwise, but I do keep coming here more than any of them. This is the friendliest of all the forums I've been on, bar none! :D

I'm still working on 1,000 posts, but I'll get there!

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

See, perfect chance to have been flamed and didn't. I should flame myself just to make it feel right....::lam:signs094:transport024:angry021
    :angry025

10. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

This forum is more of a Camaraderie than a "I know more than you do" type that is so typical in most forums. It's like we are all brothers and sisters that are here for each other. Family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29yL-2Iuf4

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

And to make eveyone in the family happy, I think we need a couple more versions of that song.

For those with young kids:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnD8BYjZiW0

One for those who aren't into Sister Sledge (I don't get it but, YMMV):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oiu9jW-VyE

Finally, one for the comedians:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LL9WcScLeU&feature=related

12. azshaver

azshaver Member

+1 The other way to get flamed is to say something nice about Williams.

13. IAmTheJody

Behind the scenes at TSD Mod Central...

[​IMG]

:happy102

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That cat is horrible! :happy097
    I had to look real close to decide whether the light was playing tricks on my eyes or if that cat actually has buck teeth and a mouth hanging open with a stupid grin.
    :happy097

15. IAmTheJody

:happy097 :happy097 :happy097 :happy097

16. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

What kind of machine is that cat clicking away on?

17. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm just curious how someone becomes a moderator. I've belonged to quite a few forums covering a multitude of hobbies and other interests but have never seen an application process or whatnot. Do you have to know the site owner or he/she just asks you? I wouldn't want the responsibility of the position myself but have always been curious.:confused:

18. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I don't know but I've always assumed it's by invitation from the other mods based on your history with the site (length of membership, quality of posts, well regarded reputation by the other members, etc.).

19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

well, there goes my chances.....

20. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

This is a very friendly forum. Many of the blogs and forums I visit can be pretty hostile.

I think a lot of credit goes to our moderators. They're very active in almost all threads and, on the rate occasion when things get even slightly testy, they jump in and get things back on track.

Kudos to our moderators.