Forum Upgraded

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by administrator, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Is it just me, or does the alerts page look different?

2. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

It probably does. Were the alerts wrapped in the parchment like posts are? I never really saw the original site, so I'm having to fix things on the fly (and it's a custom theme, so having to figure how the original theme designer did things).

3. TSimons

I think they were. I normally just checked them as a drop down menu before the upgrade. Now that I get the full site via mobile, I noticed the the parchment style seems to be missing.

You guys are doing a great job with this upgrade though!

MatthewW likes this.
  4. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

I've added the parchment back to the alerts page.

upload_2014-1-21_2-21-31.png

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Thanks. All I can say is Matthew is the man, and has been a major help.

MatthewW likes this.
  6. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

That's why I think I dislike the scaling. Half of the options are where you mentioned and the other half are inside the username. It basically means something that took 1 "click" previously now takes 2 or 3.

I don't want to sound like a jerk because I do appreciate the time and effort people take to run the forum. I just dislike changes that remove functionality or make things less usable. I probably use my phone for 75% or more of the time I spend on the site and the changes have made it difficult to easily check new things (probably 10 times as much scrolling and more "clicks" to find and select menu options) and quickly read posts. Even a short message of a couple of lines scrolls probably 2-3 phone screens or more since you can only see 5 or 6 words per line and the small amount of words per line also makes it harder to actually read.

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Let us get the bugs out from the main update, and I'll revisit setting up a fixed width option (that's what it was before the upgrade).

8. TSimons

Thanks to the both of you for all the work you put into maintaining this forum!

MatthewW likes this.
  9. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

I think one of the problems seems to be with how narrow the browser looks in those screen shots. For example on the iPhone, it's quite a bit wider that you are showing in those images.

I also use my iPhone for almost 50% of the usage of my own site (using XenForo), and find it perfectly usable once you've got used to the changes that are introduced with the responsive theme.

I do agree though, the custom theme on here is by no means perfect, as it's not designed for XF 1.2 or to be responsive. The theme I use has been fully designed to work in responsive mode from the ground up, and scales with icons rather than text etc.

2014-01-21 02.27.23.png

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Good idea. I haven't replied to anything via mobile, so I don't know about that issue on dolphin. BUT, the display / h.scroll problem exists in "cool blue" theme and not in "vintage."

11. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

Ah, I didn't know you were using that theme (actually the default theme for XenForo). There is a new style property which removed the min-width element (effectively making it fixed width with that value present). I've removed the outdated property, and it should be responsive now.

12. richgem

Woo hoo! All better now, Matthew. thanks! :bounce017:

(one to file away for my wish list... can we get a "marked all read" for smartphone access?)

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow looks good and seems to be great for me. (Using samsung s4) at the moment.
    Will try on laptop when I get home.
    Thanks for all the hard work and time.

14. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

It's already there. It's being hidden on the responsive view. It's inside the ... link
    2014-01-21 03.29.20.png 2014-01-21 03.29.54.png

15. richgem

Posted from mobile.... looks like we're missing the go to first unread button. minor thing.

16. richgem

Thanks...missed that.

Just noticing more...No cursor in reply box via mobile.

Edit....now it's back

17. MatthewW

MatthewW Server Admin

Yes, that is removed in responsive view, and only visible on a desktop (you can see it vanish if you are on a desktop and make your browser narrower).

18. richgem

^ gotcha.

19. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Great work y'all! I truly dislike upgrading my board to newer versions. It is always "interesting"!

Thanks for staying on top of it!

Bob

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi Matthew!

Thanks guys!!