Found a Stray..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adonis, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

My find in the "wild" today... what is it? It's a 3 pc. Bakelite? Aluminum cap. No markings anywhere. Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    No idea here. I'll bet it will all clean up well with some hot water and Dawn.

Adonis likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks like this mystery razor has followed you home..just make sure it gets lots of exercise and for goodness sake please remember to pick up after your razor..don't want to accidentally step into any lather..:chores016:

BigMark and Adonis like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like a vintage Star razor I have. Mine is WWII vintage and a pretty nice shaver. That's all I got right now

Adonis and Slipperyjoe like this.
  5. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Yep I believe it is a Star Bakelite. The seller said she thought it was from the war so that coincides also. Thanks for the insight!

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

How's that Blade Box look?

Adonis likes this.
  7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I remember reading somewhere that Gillette (Star?) made some bakelite razors for the Navy and Marines.
    (constant salt water environment = :( for metal razors)

I'll see if I can scare up the article and maybe a picture or two...

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Adonis likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Adonis likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

According to Waits Compendium here is the identification of that razor (a matching picture was included in the reference).

National - NSR

National Safety Razor Co. New York. N.Y. Circa 1941 and later. Gillette type. nobrand name. black plastic Bakelite (Bakelite?). American Red Cross give-away. Other Gillette type plastic razors with bar guard. L-W. p. 10. 36.

Adonis and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

it's mising a cap, but bonus it was stuff with vintage blades in great condition!

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. chamm

chamm New Member

That is almost surely a Clix razor. Brown metal top plate, Bakelite body and baseplate. I just picked one up myself, with slightly more visible branding:

[​IMG]

Looks like a dead-ringer to me! :-D

Adonis likes this.
  13. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

It does indeed. Any idea what time period?

14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yeah, I am thinking that Blade box was an ad on and not original to the set, but good find. And it would be a 40's era razor most likely.